I pity the women of San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I pity the women of San Diego

A technical error means a 20 minute fireworks display for US Independence Day in San Diego lasted an explosive 30 seconds

San Diego blew its entire load in just 15 seconds.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Great thread title.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

San Diego has had a lot of stress at work lately, you can't blame it
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yeah, someone screwed up bad last night. They had three barges in the harbor and they were supposed to fire off fireworks in sequence so the show lasted half an hour but someone screwed up and every firework on all three barges went off at once. I was down at Mission Bay and luckily the fireworks worked perfectly there but we could see the "premature ignition" happening downtown. The whole sky was as bright as day for about 10 seconds.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It must be hard to find someone who understands explosives in San Diego, what with the military in town.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

San Diego: Come, take a load off.

Comment

Hehe, more than likely the city did what they always do and went with the lowest bidder. More often than not cheapest /= best.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  It must be hard to find someone who understands explosives in San Diego, what with the military in town.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Unfortunately San Diego wasn't the only town with fireworks trouble. I went to see the fireworks in Fairfax City and for some reason they ended the show five minutes early because there was some accident. I'm not sure if anyone got hurt; I hope not.

Comment

BTW I'm not sure the military is filled with all the experts as we'd like to think. My old roommate/flatmate still works in the Navy as an aircraft mechanic for FA-18s at MCAS Miramar and he told me last week was a huge cluster ****. First one of the ordnance loading teams accidentally dropped a 2000lb bomb while trying to load it on to one of the aircraft, it didn't blow up but it was a huge safety deal where they had to close the entire base for most of a day to do command inspection about what went wrong, and then the next day someone failed to properly attach a $1.5 million camera pod to one of the planes so that it accidentally fell off into the ocean. The net result is the squadron CO as well as all the senior base commanders all got fired/releaved of command and now everyone on the base is required to work 12 hours per day 7 days a week until further notice with remedial training required for the weekends.

Sucks to be them but I'd say they deserve it.

Comment

Sorta brings the whole "dumping money in the ocean" expression to life rather spectacularly.

Comment

Nonsense. Since the fireworks were finished so quickly, people now had more time to pursue other activities, like drinking and sex. If anything, it was a net gain for the San Diego economy.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            Unfortunately San Diego wasn't the only town with fireworks trouble. I went to see the fireworks in Fairfax City and for some reason they ended the show five minutes early because there was some accident. I'm not sure if anyone got hurt; I hope not.
                            Last year the company doing the fireworks in my neighborhood (which is a much smaller show than downtown or the other big areas) miscalculated how long the fusses should be on the fireworks so they ended up going off too close to the ground. As a result they set the roof of the local high school on fire. :doh:

Comment

South Park's 'Jackin-it in San Diego" lasted almost 2 minutes.
                              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                              X