• Show
Clear All

• Battleship Texas in serious poo-doo

Leaks allow in nearly 2,000 gallons of water per minute

Battleship Texas closes to public while holes are fixed
    Posted Monday, Jun. 25, 2012

BY RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI
    The Associated Press

HOUSTON -- The 100-year-old Battleship Texas, the last remaining dreadnaught that fought in World Wars I and II, closed indefinitely Monday as staff try to repair several holes that are allowing in nearly 2,000 gallons of water per minute, the ship's manager said Monday.

The leaks plaguing the ship, which fought as the USS Texas, have highlighted the need for a multimillion-dollar plan to dry dock the vessel, removing it from the salty waters of Buffalo Bayou and the Houston Ship Channel, where it has sat for several decades.

"The ship is not as good as she was. She's leaking, again," Smith said, the frustration clear in his voice. "I think she's getting persnickety in her old age."

The vessel first closed to the public this month when a leak allowed water into areas that still held oil from the ship's time in active duty. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, the ship's caretaker, had to hire a company to skim the oil before it could pump out the water and patch the hole.

The museum reopened Saturday, only to close again Monday when staff discovered water flowing in from several areas in the port and starboard sides.

"This is definitely not one leak, and they're clustered in two different areas," Smith said.

On the port back end, the staff found several holes that appear to be the result of rivets popping out, Smith said. There are three holes in one area that are almost perfectly lined up. Not far from that, water is also flowing in from a seam where two plates had been riveted together.

Though these holes are smaller than the starboard ones, they are in deeper water, which allows the water to flow in faster, Smith said. The blister tanks on the starboard side are also letting in water.

"It sometimes feels like you're chasing your own tail," Smith said.

The staff is working nonstop to repair the holes and appeared to have patched up some of the leaks early Monday. Smith hopes the ship will reopen to the public next week, but it's too early to say.

"We're getting tired in general and tired of fighting water," Smith said.

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

My ship was sunk to become an artificial reef. The same should be done here.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
      My ship was sunk to become an artificial reef. The same should be done here.

ACK!

Texas is the only example of a WW1 dreadnought still in existence. I imagine there were probably many, many examples of your ship when they sank it.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Pretty dumb that it's not already in a dry dock IMO.
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
          Texas is the only example of a WW1 dreadnought still in existence. I imagine there were probably many, many examples of your ship when they sank it.
          Future generations can just study the Texas underwater. Like a SCUBA excursion.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

It will be like Pearl Harbor.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Only different.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Scrap it to help save the earth.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

No way, despite being Texan and actually called the Texas, it is a unique ship and needs to be saved for posterity!

Maybe one day I can add it to my list of famous ships I've visited.
                  Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                    Pretty dumb that it's not already in a dry dock IMO.

Yeah. Texas(the State) really needs to dip into their rainy day fun for it. As it is the cash the non-profit has been saving for that is being spent on patching these holes.

The Olympia in Philly is in a similar situation, it really needs to be placed in concrete or something...like the Mikasa.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SEO_408X160_Mikasa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	9093520
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

That's enough out of you.

Comment

Working...
                        X