Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Grad Gift Ever

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ef=mostpopular

Brenna Martin's dad evidently doesn't like last-minute shopping. Bryan Martin purchased a gift for his daughter's high school graduation -- which happened earlier this month -- thirteen years ago. He managed to keep it hidden this whole time, and his "moving, touching, nostalgic, and thoughtful" present (her words) brought Brenna to tears when dad finally gave it to her last week.

The gift -- a copy of "Oh, The Places You'll Go!" -- has a cash value of less than $20, but to Brenna, it was "truly priceless." That's because inside, threaded among the passages of Dr. Seuss's well-known rhymes, were comments and compliments from every adult who has taught Brenna at school, starting with her kindergarten teachers.

Brenna's reaction to the gift didn't stop with graduation-day tears. She was so moved by the book that she posted the story online and added a link on Reddit, where the gift has attracted plenty of attention, not least from parents-to-be and parents of young kids who say they plan to follow Brenna's dad's example. One parent even posted about starting a similar project earlier this year.

Dad joined the Reddit conversation too, writing, "I cannot believe Brenna posted this... she has always been the light of my life. Doing this was just a small way of letting her know."

If Brenna gets to work planning her own kids' graduation gifts right now, she might just have a fighting chance at outdoing her dad.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

A planner. I like that.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I am expecting a car for graduation, not a book I read when I was 3...

Comment

a car no less ?
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

That's a terrible attitude, B'etor. Over 13 years, that car will have lost almost all its value, but the book will be worth way more. You have to think in terms of ebay resale value.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            That's a terrible attitude, B'etor. Over 13 years, that car will have lost almost all its value, but the book will be worth way more. You have to think in terms of ebay resale value.
            To be fair to b etor, the book has been vandalized with all types of grafitti ruining its resale value.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

There would have been egg all over his face if she'd dropped out (unless all of her former teachers had written things like "you'll always be a failure at life")
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                To be fair to b etor, the book has been vandalized with all types of grafitti ruining its resale value.
                Now it's a collector's item. You just have to find a buyer with the right fetish.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

That book has become a bit of a cliche for high school graduations. But I'm impressed with the father's dedication to it.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I wonder if its to late to buy a forklift for grad?
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                    X