Rock of Ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock of Ages

I thought this musical was a decent movie about 80's rock and roll, club scenes were pretty acurate, showed a has been rocker imploding..a.k.a. Jim Morrison style...or Bad Company rock n roll tale of Johnny in Shooting Star, many dumped on Tom Cruise but felt his portrayel of Stacee Jaxx came across pretty decent. Certainly not an academy award nor very deep, but overall a decent movie
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

last good decade of rock

Comment

I missed a lot of the 80's with starting a family and going to school at night. When I looked up, it was the 90's and it sucked.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The 90s were fine old man. But the 10s certainly suck...what has come out that is good this decade so far? Nothing.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Arcade Fire would beg to differ. As would PJ Harvey, Bon Iver (I'm not a fan, but I can acknowledge his talent), Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, LCD Soundsystem, Adele, Janelle Monáe, etc., etc.

Maybe you should try a little to find decent music .
          Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; June 17, 2012, 00:07.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I like Adele and Black Keys.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

You can tell how old someone is by which decade's music they hate the most.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Not absolutely. My daughter likes the same music that I do, for the most part. She's more into metal than I, but she can tell you anything at all about the Doors.

Comment

How old is she?
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    Arcade Fire would beg to differ. As would PJ Harvey, Bon Iver (I'm not a fan, but I can acknowledge his talent), Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, LCD Soundsystem, Adele, Janelle Monáe, etc., etc.

Maybe you should try a little to find decent music .
                    "Decent", sure. Not really that great though.

Comment

PJ Harvey is also a '90s and '00s artist.

Comment

This Rock of Ages thing has turned into an instant franchise, with a stage version and movie basically out at the same time. I fully expect a TV series and maybe even an animated version in short order. It's a cynical, opportunistic ploy that wants you to believe that hair metal was good music, when in fact most of it was generic, interchangeable crap.

That said, it's hard not to look back on those days of trashy, willing groupies and cocaine-fueled reverie without a bit of jealous admiration.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                          hair metal was ... [mostly] generic, interchangeable crap.
                          True enough, but how is that different from any other musical genre?

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                            PJ Harvey is also a '90s and '00s artist.
                            yep. arcade fire are 00s. LCD soundsystem is really a 00s artist as well. james murphy's best days are behind him.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                              You can tell how old someone is by which decade's music they hate the most.

In my case, it's the 60s.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                              X