Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiness Is A Warm Gun

...so I just bought an AR15 from Cabela's, and this is the first rifle I've ever purchased.

The manual mentions a "break in " period, where you fire a single shot and clean the bore 25 times, and then fire ten shots and clean the bore 18 times. Is this normal for rifles, and how important is it? Also there is a lot of recommened regular maintenance, probably more than on any item since that time I tried to learn the trumpet.

Anybody else get one of these things?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Seems a little overboard to me.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd do it as they must have a reason though I've never heard of anything like it before.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Gun maintenance is not only an essential part of gun ownership but also one of the key joys of it.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

BTW which maker did you go with for the AR15 and which accessories did you get to go with it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
            ...so I just bought an AR15 from Cabela's, and this is the first rifle I've ever purchased.

The manual mentions a "break in " period, where you fire a single shot and clean the bore 25 times, and then fire ten shots and clean the bore 18 times. Is this normal for rifles, and how important is it? Also there is a lot of recommened regular maintenance, probably more than on any item since that time I tried to learn the trumpet.

I got a used Del Ton (looks like this), and it's tons of fun.

My understanding of the break in is that it's not that big of a deal. There might be some debris in the barrel from manufacturing, but that'll be cleared out in the normal business of shooting and cleaning. As far as maintenance goes, clean it regularly and it should be fine. Regularly might be every time you go shooting, or it might be after every few hundred rounds, or whatever. The ammunition you use, and how you store the rifle have a lot to do with that. Make sure not to leave too much oil, since that can collect dust while its being stored. And youtube is an awesome source of info for any cleaning questions you might have.

What brand did you get?
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Can't get AR-15s in New York

Comment

I got a DPMS A3, looks like this.

Last night I learned how to lock the chamber open for inspection!

Comment

You have a short dick ?
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Why yes, want to see?

Comment

"Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Your head is saying no but your smile is saying YES.

Comment

I got a DPMS A3, looks like this.

Last night I learned how to lock the chamber open for inspection!
                          Sweet. I like how that rear sight looks.

Gun shows are a lot more fun when you've got an AR. There are tons of little modifications you can make, and if you're not careful you can burn through a big pile of money in no time.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Interesting choice in stock butts. Any reason you picked that stock instead of the collapsible M4 stock?

Comment

It's because every time you clean it you set it upright with the butt resting on your chaier inbetween your thighs, then you get a rag and soak it in oil, and then ....you stroke it with the oiled clothe. You stroke it from top to bottom, then back to the top and stroke downwards, then back to the top ...... That's it, You're getting a feel for it now aren't you. Yes, it's beginning to feel almost like it's part of you isn't it? Oh, yeah baby, ummmmmm. faster now Faster! Faster! Oh, Oh,OH,OH YEAH BABY! FIRE IT, FIRE IT, FIRE IT25 TIMESOh, yeah, so sweet ohhhhh yyyeeaahhhhh....Clean it some more, you know you want to. Grab the rag, slather the oil. Both hands now you got it baby, you can do it again,Come on, harder, faster, harder, fasterharder, faster,HARDER, FASTEROH BANGITTY, BANGITTY 18 TIMES BANGITTY!!! ahhhh...wwwhhhheeeeewwwwwwwwwwww......... Man, you STILL got it. And you ain't nevah, evah, evah gonna let your sweet steel angel outta your site.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X