Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking, smoking, drug use and being overweight do not affect a man's fertility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking, smoking, drug use and being overweight do not affect a man's fertility

I knew it - I'm living proof of this

It's a man's world

Drinking, smoking do not harm a man's fertility - but briefs do, UK study claims

UK scientists have good news for men with a vice - drinking alcohol, smoking, recreational drug use and being overweight have "little effect" on a man's fertility - but wearing a tight pair of briefs does, research published Wednesday claimed.

According to the study, men with an unhealthy lifestyle produce just as many swimming sperm as those who live more healthily.

That is contrary to current UK guidelines, which advise doctors to warn men experiencing fertility problems to avoid tobacco, alcohol, recreational drugs and overeating in a bid to increase sperm quality and quantity.

Scientists at northern England's University of Manchester and University of Sheffield conducted a study of 2,249 men from around the UK and asked them to answer a detailed questionnaire about their lifestyle.

The questionnaire results of the 939 men who produced low numbers of swimming sperm were compared to the 1,310 men who produced higher numbers.

The study found that the men with low swimming sperm were 2.5 times more likely to have undergone testicular surgery, twice as likely to be of black ethnicity and 1.3 times more likely to be employed in manual work.

The group also was 1.3 times more likely to wear briefs rather than boxers, according to the report published in the Human Reproduction journal.

Study leader Dr. Andrew Povey, of the University of Manchester, said of the results, "This potentially overturns much of the current advice given to men about how they might improve their fertility and suggests that many common lifestyle risks may not be as important as we previously thought."

Prof. Nicola Cherry, who also worked on the study, said the higher risk found in manual workers was "consistent with earlier findings that chemicals at work could affect sperm and that men should continue to keep work exposures as low as possible."
    Tight briefs huh? Asher should see this thread
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Then I shall drink and smoke as little as possible and wear briefs as much as possible.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
      Tight briefs huh? Asher should see this thread
      I don't think it matters if his sperm swims slow. It's already confused about where it ends up.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't think Asher cares that much about its intended use...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Insert ironic post here.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
            I don't think Asher cares that much about its intended use...
            true although he must have matured cos in the old days he'd be climbing all over any thread that mentioned him
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Give him a chance...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

If I wear boxers its pretty obvious 'to which side sir dresses'. However as a white manual worker I feel my co workers shall have to sacrifice their pride for the sake of my fertility.

Im concerned as to the source of this study. A quick google of the headline reveals 9 fox sites and 1 Torygraph link.

I was under the impression that THC consumption was directly linked to temporary defective sperm. Im sure we are all aware that our balls produce new sperm at a prodigious rate and so our lifestyle factors can be mitigated within a month or so
                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

yes and why is it always ÃœK scientists??

Comment

This appears to be bad science. They took a result, low sperm count, and worked backwards, looking at who had the low sperm count. That's not the way good science works. They need to do a double-blinded randomized prospective study.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I told you - UK scientists

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                        yes and why is it always ÃœK scientists??
                        Have you ever seen a UK scientist?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yes, provost

Comment

Then you have your answer.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                            X