No announcement yet.

Falkland Islanders to hold referendum over sovereignty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Brits very nearly lost the Falklands. If the Argies had set their fuses correctly the Brits would have lost more ships.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

In Argentina no one thinks of a war because we have almost no army, the military is extremely unpopular not only because of the war they made us lose, but because of all the people they murdered and the economic mess they left, in fact, all the leaders of the military coup, and many low ranked members, are in jail for human right abuses, something that did not happen in other countries that also had military dictatorships, like Spain or Chile.
      The way we found of stopping the military from becoming a threat to democracy was to leave it with no money at all, that bad thing about that is that we could not beat Perú in a war nowadays to mention some country, they would steam roll us.

We don't care about the falklands referendum because the Islands have an extremly small population, around 3000 if you don't count the military base, and they are heavily subsided by the british goverment in ordr for them to stay there, they are a flag planted on the south atlantic in order to be able to exploit the surrounding waters in the same way the british have done with the northern sea oil in case you find something.
      I need a foot massage

Comment

Gee, the international community ignored the referendums in South Ossetia and Abkhazia, why should this one count? Oh wait, I forgot, this one is being run by white people for white people.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

This is a great plan, and Israel should follow Britain's lead by suggesting that the Jewish settlements in the West Bank hold a sovereignty referendum of their own. Certainly everyone in this thread will respect their democratically expressed wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
            the Brits very nearly lost the Falklands. If the Argies had set their fuses correctly the Brits would have lost more ships.

If only the BBC had alerted the Argies to their fusing problems earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
              Gee, the international community ignored the referendums in South Ossetia and Abkhazia, why should this one count? Oh wait, I forgot, this one is being run by white people for white people.
              Are you suggesting Russians aren't white?

PS: I'm pretty sure that the "international community" does not care about this referendum or the Falklands.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                This is a great plan, and Israel should follow Britain's lead by suggesting that the Jewish settlements in the West Bank hold a sovereignty referendum of their own. Certainly everyone in this thread will respect their democratically expressed wishes!
                That is what they did in Ireland. If joining ireland becomes by far the most popular opinion in northern ireland, but one of the 6 counties still prefers to be a part of the UK, you can be sure they will keep that one instead of allowing a unified Ireland.
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Yes, it is all rather irrelevent HD, both this referendum and the argentine claims. This will not be decided in decades.
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                    That is what they did in Ireland. If joining ireland becomes by far the most popular opinion in northern ireland, but one of the 6 counties still prefers to be a part of the UK, you can be sure they will keep that one instead of allowing a unified Ireland.
                    Yup. The British truly are the master imperialists.

Comment

I think it already is decided. Brits own the Falklands.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                        The Falklanders have been there for nearly two centuries and aren't a "settlement".

Comment

You're implying that there's a statute of limitations on land theft. What is it? 50 years? 100 years? How long do the Jewish settlers have to hold out before the land is theirs?

Comment

The falklanders who have XIX century ancestors in the islands are 1800 people, I don't think such a small population had a right of self determination. And they are slightly over half of the population, they could become a minority.
                            And they arrived after an argentine governor and the small argentine population was expulsed, they are not natives.

I am not saying they don't have a right to be there, and that their property should not be respected. For Argentina their are potentially argentines since they are people born in what Argentina sees as argentine territory, so they could ask for argentine IDs, use our hospitals for free and go to college here, it was quite common before the war.
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

Once everyone who had land stolen from them is dead (let's say 100 years) then their descendants should shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                                I think it already is decided. Brits own the Falklands.
                                this.

the people there clearly want to remain british. the argentinians tried to take islands by force and lost. it's about time the argentinian politicians shut up about it.
                                Last edited by C0ckney; June 13, 2012, 19:55.
                                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                                X