Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst parent & spouse of the year? Decade? Century?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst parent & spouse of the year? Decade? Century?

So this South Korean guy defects to North Korea (I know, WTF?) taking along his wife and children then when it becomes clear North Korea is horrible and nothing more than a mafia state he escapes back to South Korea but leaves his family behind in North Korea.

North Korea defector living with quarter of a century of guilt

Seoul (CNN) -- Oh Kil-nam refuses to keep a single photo of his family in his home. He says it's just too painful.
    For more than 25 years, Oh has lived with the guilt of knowing his wife and two daughters are being held against their will in North Korea because of a choice he made.
    "I made such a foolish decision," Oh says, "which has caused my family to suffer such hardship in the hands of an outrageous criminal organization. It doesn't help even if I repent, my heart is torn with sorrow."
    Oh, a native of South Korea, moved his family to Pyongyang in 1985 despite his wife's reservations on the promise of a good job and free medical treatment for his wife's hepatitis, but when they arrived he realized he had been tricked.

He says there was not a job nor medical help for his wife, just three months of what he calls, "lectures from day to night on North Korea ideology, history and brainwashing." He was then forced to work in a radio station broadcasting propaganda.
    North Korea preparing another nuke test?
    Oh was sent to Denmark the following year to lure more South Koreans to the communist state. But when he arrived at customs, Oh handed them a piece of paper asking to defect. Held for two months in detention in Germany, he was questioned by different intelligence agencies, including he says the CIA. He was then freed and moved to South Korea.
    N. Korea mob dismembers S. Korea effigy
    But his nightmare had only just begun.
    Baptist singers take trip to N. Korea
    Oh learned his wife and daughters, only aged 6 and 9 when they first moved to North Korea, were sent to a concentration camp as punishment for his defection. In 1991, he received the first and last message from them.
    Three black and white photos and recorded messages from his family. Oh and the human rights workers believe they were recorded by North Korean officials as a trap to lure him back.
    His youngest daughter says, "I miss you dad, I don't know you and I need to grow up fast so I can help mum and I feel regret but now I can lift water buckets and wood very well." Studying the photos, some defectors have told Oh they believe they were taken in the notorious Yodok concentration camp.
    His eldest daughter tells him, "Hi dad, it's Haewon, I dreamt the other day that I was celebrating my birthday with you. I miss you. It's been a while since I said the word father and my tears are falling."
    On the tape, his wife wonders when she will see him again.
    Oh looks at the photos of his family. Thinking back to when he first received them he shakes his head. "I am ... psychologically and physically, totally destroyed," he says. "I have literally no feeling."
    He says he feels helpless and all his hopes now rest with the United Nations and the South Korean President. The UN body on arbitrary detention has petitioned North Korea to release the family, saying their detention is "arbitrary," but the response has not been positive.
    Pyongyang claims Oh's wife has already died from her hepatitis and his daughters want nothing to do with him as they say he deserted them. Oh refuses to believe either claim.
    South Korea has increased diplomatic pressure on Pyongyang. President Lee Myung bak asked the Swedish King, Carl Gustav for assistance. Sweden has an embassy in Pyongyang and has, in the past, acted as a neutral broker for countries with no presence there.
    All Oh can do now is wait -- as he has for the past quarter of a century. And hope he will live to se his daughters freed.
    "Every night I have nightmares,' he says. "I'm more than 70 years old now and exhausted but I will stay alive until I can hold my two daughters again."

Why the hell would anyone move from South Korea to North Korea in the first place. You'd have to be a truly stupid and brainwashed dumb ****.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

It sais why they moved in the 3rd line - FREE HEALTH CARE. As the Tea Partiers have correctly pointed out, only evil people advocate free health care and only weak, stupid people want it...
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

And there I was thinking this would be about Britain's Prime Minister abandoning his 8-year-old daughter in a pub.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        Why the hell would anyone move from South Korea to North Korea in the first place. You'd have to be a truly stupid and brainwashed dumb ****.
        My grandfather moved from West Germany's Ruhr coal pits to the East in order to become a teacher in 1946. If he hadn't done that, you know, we would not be having this conversation, since, I guess, the Berlin wall would never have been built, or something.

Comment

Worst parent, Oerdin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
            And there I was thinking this would be about Britain's Prime Minister abandoning his 8-year-old daughter in a pub.
            Best parent ever!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

According to the Daily Show's John Oliver, who is from Englandia therefore an expert, this is an English tradition. It gives children the chance to become Orphans for a while and experience the life of pick-pockets or wizards.
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

That's an honest mistake. Who hasn't accidentally left their progeny at a pub before? Shipping her off to North Korea though...?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy View Post
                  My grandfather moved from West Germany's Ruhr coal pits to the East in order to become a teacher in 1946. If he hadn't done that, you know, we would not be having this conversation, since, I guess, the Berlin wall would never have been built, or something.
                  I hate to say it but your grandfather was a dumb ass or at least made an extremely bad decision. Even so the DDR, as bad as it was, was still the most developed member of the Warsaw Pact and they didn't routinely chuck people into death camps where they get 600 calories per day simply because some distant family member said or did something the absolute dictator didn't like. North Korea does. It's Stalinism on steroids with twice the death camps.

Comment

A surprising number of Koreans have been lured to the north. Large numbers went from Japan over the years. All the same horror stories.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                      I hate to say it but your grandfather was a dumb ass or at least made an extremely bad decision. Even so the DDR, as bad as it was, was still the most developed member of the Warsaw Pact and they didn't routinely chuck people into death camps where they get 600 calories per day simply because some distant family member said or did something the absolute dictator didn't like. North Korea does. It's Stalinism on steroids with twice the death camps.
                      I hate t say it but you have no clue what you're talking about

Working in Ruhr coal pits in 1946 was dangerous as hell - in fact, he lost his job after a workplace accident two weeks into the job, and was left injured after that. A friend wrote him a letter, invited him to become a teacher in the east, were the Soivet occupators offered housing, food, some living standard, which in 1946 appeared far out of reach in most of Germany. He made a decision that may have been very apolitical, but at the time was reasonable enough if you wanted to survive. From this perspective, I will agree with you insofar as it doesn't compare well to the NK case.

Comment

Eccy knows what he is talking about - the standard of living in North Korea was higher than the south during the sixties and seventies. That lured a lot of Koreans up there. Similar story in East and West Germany - but earlier - forties and fifties.
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I thought Sarah Burge was the worst parent of the year.

Providing a daily dose of celebrity news, gossip, divas, drag queens, fashion, and hot male celebrities, to the masses—stirred, not shaken—in digestible bites.

Comment

That chick is pretty terrible but at least she didn't send her family to a concentration camp.

Comment

All that plastic surgery still couldn't hide British ugly.
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                              X