D-day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
    The turning point in the war in he East was 1942 at Stalingrad, years before D-Day. On the western front the Germans had diverted a corps sized force to Africa, not enough troops to influence the battles in the east. The next great battle was Kursk in 1943 at which the center of the German army in the East was destroyed, occurred a year before D-day. In the summer of 1943 the Germans were fighting in Italy, deploying perhaps two Army corps, still their presence in the east would not have made a difference. By 1944 the German army in the east was simply staging a continual fighting retreat. If they had been able to use in the East the troops neededin the west it still wouldn't have made a difference.
    This is why I said birdbrain needed to have his history checked!
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Gold Almost took all objectives took substantial casualties doing so
      Juno Took all objectives and faced serious casualties doing so
      Sword Couldn't take Caen until a full month later
      Omaha Nearly called a failure. Largest amount of casualties. Offsetting this is that arguably facing the most battle hardened Germany troops (352nd) as opposed to the OST troops at other landing sites. Achieved objectives at D Day +3. Still better performance than Sword beach.
      Utah Achieved virtually all objectives with little casualties (but arguably not as much opposition as Juno)

Performance ranking: 1. Canadien 2. USA 3. British
      Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; June 7, 2012, 12:01.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Let's say that being a sitting duck on a beach while entrenched troops take potshots at you makes it difficult to grade performance. I guess everybody had enough incentive to get the hell out of there.
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
          Omaha Nearly called a failure. Largest amount of casualties. Offsetting this is that arguably facing the most battle hardened Germany troops (352nd) as opposed to the OST troops at other landing sites. Achieved objectives at D Day +3. Still better performance than Sword beach.
          Utah Achieved virtually all objectives with little casualties (but arguably not as much opposition as Juno)

The majority of the shipping and naval support was British. That should up our performance rating quite abit

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post

You missed a few key facts:
            Sword - cleared the deepest defences and stopped dead a counterattack by a Panzer division (recent research shows that casulaty rates here were actually much higher than believed)
            Omaha - IIRC only 2 battalions belonging to 352nd were present here (the rest of the battalions were from coastal defence divisions) - as many as were involved in dealing with the advance from Gold.
            Utah - true about opposition but not so about achieving objectives - they didn't even linkup with the paras on D-day

Performance ranking - has to be 6th airborne - Orne bridges, Dives bridges, Merville battery and dealing with a panzer division
            "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Actually it simply reflects the poor generalship of Montgomery establishing unrealistic objectives. (seen later at Market Garden). The fact that individual elements performed admirably is not a substitute for success as measured against objectives.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Perhaps it had something to do with the Germans, as the reinforcing Panzer divisions mainly arrived at Caen?
                "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Did anyone else manage to push their lines more than 10km inward from the coast on D-day? (I mean other than the airborne troops.) It was an unreasonable objective
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

If their armor had made it to the beaches the objectives might have been reached on the first day. And didn't the Navy keep their larger ships so far from shore that they couldn't do effective close support?
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                    X