On Recalls and Referendums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I proposed the Chinese system.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
      This should be a litmus test. Any self-professed liberal who does not recognize this whole Wisconsin brouhaha as idiotic and inane is a hopelessly lost hyperpartisan, equal to the worst elements of the right.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        There's pros and cons. We want public officials to be held accountable and not just do whatever the hell they want once they get elected; facing re-election forces them to not reneg on campaign promises, etc. But this leads to a short-term focus, a lot of empty populism and pork, etc.

Actually, I think the cons ultimately are problems with a democratic system in general.
        Yes, if you start with the assumption that voters reward irresponsible decisions that are beneficial in the short term, you will probably not reach the conclusion that democracy is a good system.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          Yes, if you start with the assumption that voters reward irresponsible decisions that are beneficial in the short term
          That 'assumption' is hardly a leap of faith.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yes, if you start with the assumption that voters reward irresponsible decisions that are beneficial in the short term, you will probably not reach the conclusion that democracy is a good system.
            Sure you can. Good is a relative term, and the alternatives tend to be even worse.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I don't see anything inherently wrong with having gubernatorial elections every two years instead of every four years. Of course, there is the possibility that voters would get tired of having so many elections but if the requirements for holding a recall are strict enough that should protect against the possibility of constant elections that voters are sick of. If you are offended by the proposition that people in positions of power should have to keep the public satisfied throughout their term and not just once every four years, you hate democracy.
              Aren't you the one thinking so little of democracy that you cannot imagine the public's memory lasting four years?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                Aren't you the one thinking so little of democracy that you cannot imagine the public's memory lasting four years?
                No.

Comment

Oh.

Comment

Here's an interesting referendum...

North Dakota voters to decide on abolishing property tax
                    By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY

Updated 2h 52m ago

North Dakota voters will decide Tuesday on the ultimate tax revolt: abolishing the property tax altogether. A citizen-led petition drive has put the daring, all-or-nothing proposal before the voters in a state flush with tax revenue, jobs and prosperity generated by an oil boom.

If the property tax is eliminated, it would be the first time since 1980 — when oil-rich Alaska got rid of its income tax — that a state has discontinued a major tax, reports the Tax Foundation, a non-partisan research group. North Dakota would become the only state not to have a property tax, a levy the state has had since before it joined the union in 1889.

"The oil boom makes it easier to get rid of the tax, but we started this before the oil boom took off," said Charlene Nelson, chairman of Empower The Taxpayer, which is leading the tax repeal effort. "Any state would benefit from this same thing."

North Dakota's political and business establishment has lined up against the measure. The state Chamber of Commerce, farm groups, unions and most elected officials are opposed.

The property tax generates about $800 million a year in North Dakota. Except for a small share for a state medical school, the money is collected by counties and used to fund schools and local governments.

"The property tax is the foundation of local government services," said Connie Sprynczynatyk, executive director of the North Dakota League of Cities. "It's the predictable source of revenue to pay for police and fire and other local services in the community where you live."

Measure 2, as the proposal is called on the ballot, would require state government to make up for property tax revenue lost by local governments but doesn't specify how. Sprynczynatyk said this vagueness makes it uncertain if the measure can be implemented.

North Dakota's attempt to banish the property tax reflects the sparsely populated state's streak of independence and populism.

Despite hot political rhetoric, governments and voters generally tinker with long-established taxing habits — raising and lowering rates, adding and removing tax breaks — rather than attempting radical change. California's Proposition 13, a voter-approved initiative in 1978 that started a nationwide effort to limit property taxes, slashed property tax rates and limited future increases but did not end the tax.

Property taxes date to the 19th century in most states, including North Dakota.

The property tax is the most unpopular of all taxes, according to polling by the Tax Foundation.

Nelson, the tax opponent, hopes North Dakota starts a brush fire elsewhere to end - not just lower — the property tax. "The problem with reducing a tax is it's like a weed. It always grows back," she said.

Now, I happen to think that this is a tax reduction too far, for the reason I bolded in the article. This really flies in the face of local governance -- I mean, what the hell are they thinking?

Comment

What, is the state planning to pay for all local police and fire services? I know the article says that's the plan, but I'd love to see how they go about doing it. Hooray, you have no more property taxes, but your state income taxes just went up 100%.... ooops. Or, they underfund local police and fire services - that should go over well.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think it is actually very good, the rest of the US will see how that worked and will decide to follow suit or not. If the people want to self-destrutct, they should be allowed to, as long as those who do not want to participate have the right to move out. In the US this is the case (ie, they can move out) so really such moves by the public are great, giving the power to the region to do what it wants is the correct way forward.
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                        X