Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What evidence is needed for a rape conviction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only if they write it down.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

2.1/10. Far too abrupt and nonsensical a transition.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The woman who falsely accused him, ruining his life, and won $1.5 million in a civil judgment against the Long Beach school district will not be charged with a crime.

That's the message the justice system gives!

By the way, the guy was a 6'4" 225lb middle linebacker with a 4.56 40' which is great size and speed for a high school kid. Such a shame that instead of attending and playing for USC, he was in prison for five years.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

He was facing a 41-to-life sentence if he didn't take a plea.

That's why innocent people take pleas. 5 years vs. taking a chance at 41 to life? So you can wind up like all the innocent people released after decades of false imprisonment?

Even though there was no DNA evidence, Banks’ attorney advised him not to take the chance of staying in prison until he was 57 years old.

“She told me I was a big black teenager,” he said, “and no jury would believe anything I said.”

Banks spent five years and two months in prison. He had another five years on probation. Banks had to register as a sex offender and wear an ankle monitor.
          Last edited by Al B. Sure!; May 26, 2012, 11:44.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I had an innocent client who chose to plead to a lesser charge. One of the hardest days of my career, but it happens. He determined the risk at trial was too great.

As to "he said vs she said", I can't speak to US law but we have SCC case law on the issue as it relates to reasonable doubt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._v._W.%28D.%29). I'd be surprised if the US didn't have similar judgements.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

This was earlier this year:

In 2001, an 11-year-old girl told a judge that her father raped her, sending the man to prison for nine years. Today, she admits that she lied.

Now 23-years-old, Cassandra Ann Kennedy says she made up the story because she was upset with her father following her parents' divorce, The Daily News reports.

Last week, authorities in Washington state finally released the father, Thomas Edward Kennedy, who was serving a 15 year prison term. All charges have been dropped thanks to the daughter's statement, made in January.
              Cowlitz County Prosecutor Sue Baur says that the county will not take legal action against Kennedy, partly because authorities do not want to discourage individuals who have, in fact, suffered from sexual harassment from stepping forward.
              Like I said, the woman's/child's word looks like enough evidence and there's no consequences for false accusations. The law may say otherwise but let's not act like juries don't have undue sympathy to alleged victims.
              Last edited by Al B. Sure!; May 26, 2012, 11:49.

Comment

Miscarriages of justice happen all the time (the reason I am anti-DP).

I agree with you though, there should be consequences for demonstrably false accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                  And what kind of hood rat name is Wanetta? Disgusting. Was Shrontrelle taken?
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                  X