Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should it be "politics is", or "politics are"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should it be "politics is", or "politics are"?

Google shows "the politics are" with 2.2 million hits, and "the politics is" with 5.8 million hits, so there's room for disagreement there.

Is it context based, and how so?
    is
    44.44%
    are
    33.33%
    It depends on what the meaning of is, is.
    22.22%
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Politics is/are, and no you cannot disagree with it. It's a singular/plural noun. Words have meanings
    Last edited by Wiglaf; May 21, 2012, 22:06. Reason: Changed post entirely

Comment

"Is" for singular, "are" for plural.

Where's Drake to school you fools?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Obama's politics are poor, but politics is an interesting topic of conversation.

Comment

OMG! I just taught Wiglaf something. My life is complete.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I was reacting to the stupid thread you posted, which uses it incorrectly.

Comment

My thread did use it correctly. If only Drake was here...
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"Is American politics broken" is the correct usage, just the same as "Is politics broken" or "Politics is broken." Idiot.

Comment

You god damn IDIOT.

Comment

Not when referring to politics in the plural.

I don't know what's more pathetic that you and the incompetent are even arguing about this or that you're so flatly wrong.

And go back to you usual login. Why post under the Wiglaf login, if you're not going to adopt the persona in the slightest?
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You can't do it, can you?
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Collective Noun agreement. Which is correct in the following sentence: "Politics is politics", or "Politics are politics"?

Sorry, but it's going to depend on what you mean -- and you can go either way on this. If you mean the "science or art of government," you want the singular "is"; if you mean political practices, actions, you want the plural "are." Either one could be correct, so it's up to what you think sounds right.
                        Authority for this note: WWWebster Dictionary, the World Wide Web edition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary, Tenth Edition. Used with permission.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                          "Is" for singular, "are" for plural.

Where's Drake to school you fools?
                          "Politics" is followed by "is" when it is used by itself to describe the field of study. In all other cases, both "is" and "are" are acceptable.

Comment

Cite from the OED please, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                              Not when referring to politics in the plural.

I don't know what's more pathetic that you and the incompetent are even arguing about this or that you're so flatly wrong.

And go back to you usual login. Why post under the Wiglaf login, if you're not going to adopt the persona in the slightest?
                              I HAS NO PERSONA. I AM ONE PERSON. I HAVE ALWASYS BEEN ONE PERSON. THE MODERATORS CAN CONFIRM THIS. I AM AN ELECTED OFFICIAL BASED IN WASHINGTON, D.C. WITH A LARGE INHERITANCE, NO DEBT, AND A LAW DEGREE FROM ONE OF THE MOST PRESTIGIOUS LAW SCHOOLS IN THE UNITED STATES. THIS DOESN'T CAHNGE BECAUSE YOU ARE WRONG IN A DEBATE, AND IT WON'T CHANGE WHEN YOUR COUNTRY IS WIPED OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH BY A CHINESE NUKE (JUST ONE IS ALL ITLL TAKE).

FACTS do not change. WORDS do not lose their meaning.

Comment

Working...
                              X