A child: lost, found, and lost again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
    The correct response is to send the child back to live with her real parents and 2 biological brothers. An 8 year old will be able to adapt quickly.
    Will she?
    Maybe you shouldn´t forget that the girl spent most of her life in an english speaking country and, very probably, won´t be able to speak too much spanish. She first would have to learn a (for her) foreign language before she would even be able to to communicate with her parents and siblings (unless they are able to speak english, of course), not to forget that she would have the same problem outside of the house, making it difficult for her to attend school and/or find friends of her age
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The parents were given information that warned them that the girl's background story was faked, that alone should have told them to back off the proceedings. Instead they were willing to essentially conspire to break the law, i.e., go along with putting false information on a passport and on adoption papers.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Urgh, a nasty mess. The adoptive parents own records speak fairly strongly against any claim they might have, assuming the accuracy of the report. It's hard for a kid to be shipped around based on lengthy legal processes, but you can't say, "Gee, doing the right thing might be hard, so we won't try."
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
          Will she?
          Maybe you shouldn´t forget that the girl spent most of her life in an english speaking country and, very probably, won´t be able to speak too much spanish. She first would have to learn a (for her) foreign language before she would even be able to to communicate with her parents and siblings (unless they are able to speak english, of course), not to forget that she would have the same problem outside of the house, making it difficult for her to attend school and/or find friends of her age
          Actually she's spent only 3 of her 7 years in the US. Presumably by the time she left Guatamala, at age 4, she would have already been fluent in Spanish, though since the last 2 years were spent with her kidnappers or in an orphanage it's difficult to say. Those types of environments tend to not improve a kid's language skills.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
          X