No announcement yet.

West Virginia Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one is forced to receive government benefits though, except maybe the guy with the heart condition. Which universal health coverage would fix.

Comment

The problem is that everyone is forced to pay for it.

Comment

Amazing that no one finds a problem with the stuff I described. I really don't understand how Democrats aren't appalled at the corruption.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Your story is basically exhibit A for how handouts increase unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
            Your story is basically exhibit A for how handouts increase unemployment.
            Who cares about that? It doesn't strike people as just plain wrong?
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Well yes, the disregard for the law is also plainly disgusting.

Comment

Well yes, the disregard for the law is also plainly disgusting.
                I'm not talking about that! I'm talking about getting so much, more than people even need, for nothing.

Food stamps, WIC, cash benefits, health insurance, SSI for assumed 'disabilities', free subsidized cellphones, on and on... you can live just fine on the government trough.

A guy I know has food stamps but he also goes to every foodbank in the city to get food. He sometimes goes to the same one multiple times a week using a different name when he signs in.

Everything is a hustle.

Comment

Er, Maryland's WIC, at least, provides a pretty small amount of food (my wife's on it while I job-hunt). Enough to give a woman with a nursing mother's appetite free food for maybe one day a week, if she stretches it pretty far. And there are substantial restrictions on what you can buy, since it's intended to encourage women to bolster their nutritional intake. Oh yeah, livin' large on one loaf of whole-wheat bread or a one-pound package of corn tortillas a month! Plus ten bucks worth of vegetables, a bag of beans and a one-pound block of cheese!
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    Er, Maryland's WIC, at least, provides a pretty small amount of food (my wife's on it while I job-hunt). Enough to give a woman with a nursing mother's appetite free food for maybe one day a week, if she stretches it pretty far. And there are substantial restrictions on what you can buy, since it's intended to encourage women to bolster their nutritional intake. Oh yeah, livin' large on one loaf of whole-wheat bread or a one-pound package of corn tortillas a month! Plus ten bucks worth of vegetables, a bag of beans and a one-pound block of cheese!
                    Dude, they get along fine plus with the food stamps and have enough to sell the stamps to people for cash.

Remember, they also get cash benefits, don't have to pay for their cellphones because of the free cells, subsidized healthcare, SSI, etc. etc. Have people who made income claim their kids for the tax benefits... What expenses do they have? It's why people don't have to work.

It's the crime, drugs, and ****ty parenting that makes the ghetto a ****hole. It's not a lack of necessities.

Comment

Maybe for the whole deal, but I really can't see how WIC in particular does any harm. You can't pass the checks to somebody else, so you'd have to buy the stuff and sell it, presumptively for well below grocery rates (and with WIC, you have to buy generic if at all possible), and wind up making, in effect, much less than minimum wage when you factor in the time spent applying for WIC, buying the stuff, finding buyers of your own, arranging the sale...

Whereas, for those who use it correctly, it might mean a little dose of vitamins, minerals and nutrients for kids who would otherwise grow up on ramen and Kool-Ade. Or, in our case, we bleed our savings a little slower. It's not fun to rely on; I can't imagine staying on it given the opportunity to get a job and buy whatever kind of food I like without all the hassle. If there are people who do, I'm not mad, I'm just a little sorry for them.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

No one sells WIC. They sell access card usage for food stamps.

Comment

The problem is that everyone is forced to pay for it.
                          You end up paying more without it. Everyone does simply by how insurance pools work.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            I knew a guy a while back who was on food stamps. He got a grand total of $100 per month on the card which could only be used for certain things (basic food but nothing else). That's $100/30 days a month or $3.33 per day or $1.11 per meal. I'd hardly consider that high on the hog so I'm with you on this topic. He used it to buy things like rice & beans, the odd bit of processed chicken if it was on sale, and maybe some milk or ramen noodles. $1.11 per meal just doesn't go very far.

BTW a single male without dependents doesn't qualify for anything else other than food stamps so no cash assistance just a few bucks a month to buy basic food so he doesn't starve to death but not nearly enough to provide really proper nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                              I knew a guy a while back who was on food stamps. He got a grand total of $100 per month on the card which could only be used for certain things (basic food but nothing else). That's $100/30 days a month or $3.33 per day or $1.11 per meal. I'd hardly consider that high on the hog so I'm with you on this topic. He used it to buy things like rice & beans, the odd bit of processed chicken if it was on sale, and maybe some milk or ramen noodles. $1.11 per meal just doesn't go very far.
                              My landlord gets $200/month with no dependents. He also goes to food banks.

That's about comparable to what I spend on food.

And used for certain things? lol Nope. As long as its unprepared food (ie- not a restaurant), you can get whatever you want. I've argued on Apolyton that there should be nutritional guidelines (WIC-like) for what food stamps can be spent on but that's not how things are done.

Oh and you knew a guy a while back who was on food stamps? lol so you're an expert? How about I've LIVED with people on food stamps. I've gone grocery shopping with them. Food stamps are more than sufficient for recipients. That's why so many people sell them for cash. I guess the people that pay cash for them could use the food more, though, since they're buying them.

I'm going with ignorance, Oerdin, as to why you and other rich Democrats support expansion of the welfare state. You don't realize just how sweet the hustle is.

Comment

$200 a month? Does he have some sort of extenuating circumstances or something or is that normal? Even if it is normal that's only $2.22 per meal which, once again, isn't that much. Hell, I'll buy two steaks on sale for my lady friend and I and that will still be $12 for one meal plus sides and drinks. $2.22 is like a potato, some processed chicken, and maybe boiled spinach with tea for a drink.

Comment

Working...
                                X