West Virginia Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zing!
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      Is coal going to get the credit again, this time for Arkansas?

How about for Ohio?

Protesters React to Vice President's Visit
      Posted: May 17, 2012 2:02 PM CDT

By Laurie Conway, Digital Journalist -

It was an exciting and historic day in the Ohio Valley as Vice President Joe Biden paid a visit to Martins Ferry.The vice president focused on the recovering automotive industry and how communities like

MARTINS FERRY, Ohio - While the crowd of nearly 450 people turned out in support of Vice President Biden, close to 200 protesters showed up in full force, as well.

They were dressed in coal miner's hats, jail uniforms and t-shirts, holding signs and chanting.

Protesters filled the street less than a block from where Vice President Biden gave his speech Thursday in Martins Ferry. Many are upset with the current administration's policy on coal.

Jonathan Petrea, of Grassroots for Energy Citizens said, "Ohio is blessed with oil and gas in the shale place, and I don't think they're going to be friendly to it and thank goodness they don't have any regulatory power over it, but that regulatory power is starting to creep in. I fear that."

They say they have a message they want to send out.

"We are here to make a statement to Vice President Biden to take back to President Obama that we're sick and tired of this class warfare. Saying that he says he supports the working people. That he is the working people and the rest of us are some kind of scrooges. If you look around this crowd you will see all working people. And they're not happy with Mr. Obama or Mr. Biden, and we want to send them a message; back off our coal, back off our Valley!" said Bob Connors with We the People Ohio Valley.

Ryan Murray, Vice President of Operations with Murray energy group was one of the protesters. "Some of these men worked midnight shift and they're out here today because they care about their future and their families and they just want to work in honor and dignity and be left alone. And Obama and Biden are trying to put an end to that. And you can see it all around this Valley. These are good paying jobs. These guys just want to be left alone and they're infringing on our personal freedoms, and they're killing the coal industry."

Jean Schalk, of Steubenville, was in the crowd as well. "I want to be one of the people that stands up for the truth, and for the American people, and for our freedom.

Following Biden's speech, the members of We the People Ohio Valley gathered at a Martins Ferry park for a small get-together, they say they are pleased with the turnout and they plan to attend more rallies in the future.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
      X