2012 Election Map Prediction Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    I'm saying that if Romney wins Massachusettes, I will eat the disgusting quasi-food item of your choice.
    He managed to win a gubernatorial election there so anything's possible. We know what the polls say but Mass. voters did vote for Romney before.

Looking at the electoral map, it's evident that Romney MUST win Florida. I don't see any way Romney could realistically win if Obama gets Florida.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm saying that if Romney wins Massachusettes, I will eat the disgusting quasi-food item of your choice.
      The safer bet is something like "if Obama wins at least six states, he will win MA."

It would almost take a literal miracle to make that statement false.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        He managed to win a gubernatorial election there so anything's possible. We know what the polls say but Mass. voters did vote for Romney before.

Looking at the electoral map, it's evident that Romney MUST win Florida. I don't see any way Romney could realistically win if Obama gets Florida.
        You could also say he must win Texas. There's no way Romney could realistically win if Obama gets Texas. But the question is whether it would flip before other states. If Obama wins Florida, he also wins other states he would need.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
          The safer bet is something like "if Obama wins at least six states, he will win MA."

It would almost take a literal miracle to make that statement false.
          I think you need to put the number higher than six states. I would expect Romney to overperform a generic Republican in Massachusetts.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            I think you need to put the number higher than six states. I would expect Romney to overperform a generic Republican in Massachusetts.
            I was giving Romney an edge over the generic Republican. MA is Obama's third-strongest state, just barely behind Hawaii and Vermont.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              He could do it, but he'd have to pick up Pennsylvania, and that doesn't seem very likely this year.
              Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; May 9, 2012, 14:15.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
                He could do it, but he'd have to pick up Pennsylvania, and that doesn't seem ver likely this year.
                Karl Rove framed it in terms of a 3-2-1 strategy. The three usually-Republican states of VA, IN, and NC. The two infamous swing states of OH and FL. And one more.

His board looks like this.

I think it is very difficult to come up with a plausible win for Romney that doesn't follow that path. He's not going to carry the entire upper midwest and lose Ohio or Florida.

Comment

In the Rove framework, the strategy becomes pretty clear. Obama should decide whether to pour his heart and soul into denying one of the "2", or should he just defend all of the states I left "undecided" there?

The OH and FL pair are both slightly Republican-leaning in a typical 50-50 vote, which makes them scary to defend. In contrast, the nine states that could be potential tipping points for Romney are all quite Democratic-leaning, but that's a lot of states to defend.

Comment

Same as Rufus's
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Smutto.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Please can an Obama love-child come out of the woodwork before November...
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What did Guynemer ever do to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                            In the Rove framework, the strategy becomes pretty clear. Obama should decide whether to pour his heart and soul into denying one of the "2", or should he just defend all of the states I left "undecided" there?

The OH and FL pair are both slightly Republican-leaning in a typical 50-50 vote, which makes them scary to defend. In contrast, the nine states that could be potential tipping points for Romney are all quite Democratic-leaning, but that's a lot of states to defend.
                            I think Ohio in particular is going to be a tough win for the GOP this year, especially given the unpopularity of their governor.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

This reminds me very strongly of NFL talk.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It's certainly my favorite spectator sport.

Comment

Working...
                                X