No announcement yet.

musing on the perils of a pan-galactic society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to know when someone makes another Freelancer.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I just think you should make it instantaneous. It's the only realistic method of space travel.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
        When is someone going to come out with another decent "4X" space computer game? I'm really peeved that the MOO series is dead.
        I never played MOO3; was it bad enough to kill the series for good? I mean, the latest generation of gamers will vaguely remember Master of Orion being about the careful allocation of galactic healthcare or something like that, but GOG might keep memory of the franchise alive, maybe?

Alternatively, how's the Galactic Civilizations series? I've heard of it but never played it either.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          Alternatively, how's the Galactic Civilizations series? I've heard of it but never played it either.
          Gal Civ is an excellent game. Search for "Galactic Civilizations" to check it out on Stardock's website.

BTW Master of Orion 2 is a first rate game. It is now dirt cheap. Well worth a shot for only a few dollars.

Comment

My roommate is a religious player of EVE Online. Somehow he manages to reconcile that with his AFROTC commitments.

Comment

You need to take onboard the Paranoia philosophy of GMing a bit more I think.

GM : "it'll take you 10 days to get to the jump point"
              Player : "why does it take 10 days? Isn't our acceleration x and we only need to go y"
              GM : starts looking thoughtful and rolling dice
              Player : "er, did I say that out loud, sorry just idly speculating. I'm sorry, can I grab you another beer?"
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

And the only reason to make it take 10 days is if it makes it more fun. I'd make it instant except in the cases when there was a funkotrino storm for plotting purposes which means you can't use your jump engine until you get to x.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                  Gal Civ is an excellent game. Search for "Galactic Civilizations" to check it out on Stardock's website.

BTW Master of Orion 2 is a first rate game. It is now dirt cheap. Well worth a shot for only a few dollars.
                  I've had MOOII for a couple of years now via GOG.com. Good fun, albeit the Creative pick is ridiculously overpowered. I still sometimes play the first MOO; the two games are both still fun but in very different ways.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yeah, I played I and II. Was III as bad as everyone said? It scared me off and I never tried it.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                      I don't recall Traveller being quite so intimidatingly anal.
                      It was a lot simpler when I played it 30 something years ago.
                      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

In MOO 3 the research functions and planetary development functions became so unweildy that players lost control of them. At best a player could adjust the amount of research points allocated in each area of research, but attempting to actually guide it towards a specific item became impossible. Likewise with planetary development. The main thing a player could do was design ships and build fleets, then move the fleets around. Space combat became primarily fleet- to-fleet actions. If you put an effort into it there was a degree of tactical finesse that could be applied, enough to make space combat interesting.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

F*CK YEAH, LEFTY SCAEVOLA!

i really want to preserve the age of sail kind of feeling to the game. things don't need to be super technical mechanically, but i still feel i should know how things are put together.
                          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Did you check the link I posted? I just realized that I didn't leave an explanation. It leads to a "plug in the numbers" site that gives travel times for any distance and accelaration, with an option for including deceleration.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                            X