Are the rich paying their 'fair' share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    Okay, three things--the black market, bribes, and penis length compensation. Except status symbols still get taxed. So really, I think still two things.

But man, it's a real shame we can't directly tax feeling good about yourself.
    You can't tax the benefits of social networking advantages that the rich have.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Privilege represents the intangible social benefits of possessing high social standing
      The only reason money gives you any boost in social standing is that money can be exchanged for fancy things. If you can make a progressive consumption tax doesn't that cover conspicuous consumption?

Comment

What are these benefits, other than money, which I'm pretty sure gets taxed?
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

The only status symbol that wouldn't get taxed is a suit vest made out of Benjamins. And by taking money out of circulation you're basically performing an act of charity to society, so I'd let that one slide.

Comment

Because of the number of digits in their bank accounts? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              What are these benefits, other than money, which I'm pretty sure gets taxed?
              The fact that you can walk outside at 11:33 pm and have a low risk of being the victim of a crime is just one privilege of your family's wealth.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The fact that you can walk outside at 11:33 pm and have a low risk of being the victim of a crime is just one privilege of your family's wealth.
                It's a privilege of living in a neighborhood that doesn't suck. Of course the government does extort them into paying higher property taxes than people living in the ghetto.

Comment

I think that has more to do with living in a nice neighborhood (something that is taxed, by the way) than being rich.

xpost, gribby wins the race

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    It's a privilege of living in a neighborhood that doesn't suck. Of course the government does extort them into paying higher property taxes than people living in the ghetto.
                    Philadelphia: 9.432% of assessed value (assessed value is 32% of market value) = 3.01% property tax rate on market value
                    Fairfaix County: 1.07% of assessed value (assessed value appears to equal market value) = 1.07% property tax rate on market value

Philadelphia sales tax: 8%
                    Fairfax County sales tax: 5%

Comment

Philadelphia: 9.432% of assessed value (assessed value is 32% of market value) = 3.01% property tax rate on market value
                      Fairfaix County: 1.07% of assessed value (assessed value appears to equal market value) = 1.07% property tax rate on market value

Philadelphia sales tax: 8%
                      Fairfax County sales tax: 5%
                      How much is the property you live on worth? A property in a nice neighborhood is worth a lot more.

Comment

How much is the property you live on worth? A property in a nice neighborhood is worth a lot more.
                        Average home sale price in my 19133: $90,000
                        Average home sale price in 20151: $350,000

Average tax bill 19133 (given the rates I gave previously): $2709
                        Average tax bill 20151 (given the rates I gave previously): $3745

Total crime risk rating (100 represents national average) 19133: 228
                        Total crime risk rating (100 represents national average) 20151: 39

That sure is a strong extra $1000! That extra $1000 in property taxes a year means Fairfax has 39% of the national crime rate while North Philly has 228% of it!

Something else to keep in mind:

Median household income 19133: $16,206
                        Median household income 20151: $103,899

Comment

Looks like you should leave north Philly and move to Virginia. It might save your life.

Comment

There's also a few thousand more homes in 19133 than in 20151.

Can you tell me how a measly extra $1000 a year per home in Fairfax translates as the cost for 1/6th of the crime rate?

Please, kind sirs, explain it to me.

Don't forget we have ~4% city income tax and 8% sales tax.

Comment

I honestly don't feel like explaining why people shouldn't be punished for not choosing to live in a cesspool where they get mugged every other day.

Comment

Looks like you should leave north Philly and move to Virginia. It might save your life.
                                QFT

Comment

Working...
                                X