Are the rich paying their 'fair' share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    You are truly stupid. It doesn't matter what the Supreme Court thinks if the public decides to amend the Constitution. The US wasn't a democracy when the founding fathers were alive because they set up a system where only rich white men could vote.
    Non-citizen residents can't vote. What's your point?

Slaves and freedmen in Athens couldn't vote. Guess that wasn't a democracy either.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• We are a constitutional republic.
      Interesting. So if american aristocracy takes control of enough states, they can convert USA to a feudalistic socitey ?
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        I knew that you can't become president if you are a non-citicen (wich is stupid), though, I haven't heard anything about that they can't vote.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
          Interesting. So if american aristocracy takes control of enough states, they can convert USA to a feudalistic socitey ?
          They'd need a majority in both houses of 38 out of 50 states...and they can't remove the senate representation of any state without its consent, so actually, to truly eliminate the republic, they'd need a majority in all 50 states.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I knew that you can't become president if you are a non-citicen (wich is stupid), though, I haven't heard anything about that they can't vote.
            Non-citizens can't vote.

Non-natural born citizens (whatever that means) can't be president.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Non-citizens can not vote. Even some of our citizens can not vote in federal elections (Puerto Ricans are US citizens).

What you're thinking of is naturalized citizens can not become president; people who were born elsewhere, came here, and became citizens. To be president, you have to be born a US citizen.

What could get complicated is that someone can be born a US citizen if at least one parent is a citizen but be born abroad. I don't think the law is clear on that.

John McCain was born in Panama but was born in the canal zone which was US territory at the time. I don't know if he would have been eligible to be president if he were born a few miles away in Panamanian territory.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• The rule stems from the fact that European kings often came from foreign countries and were perceived as disloyal to the kingdoms they ruled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

Slaves and freedmen in Athens couldn't vote. Guess that wasn't a democracy either.
                  Relative to Sparta I would call them democratic. By modern standards, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Relative to Sparta I would call them democratic. By modern standards, no.
                    The Spartans had a republican form of government. The Spartans had a formal constitution (the Great Rhetra) which divided government power between four bodies: the two Spartan kings, the gerousia (a senate whose members were elected at age 60 to serve a life-term), the ephor (elected representatives serving 1-year terms who oversaw the kings), and the apella (the general assembly of all Spartan men over age 30).

Actually, fascinatingly enough, that bears a lot of resemblance to the Roman Republic's two consuls, senate, and assembly.

Comment

• Albie/HC, you should stop discussing property taxes and discuss actual home prices more. Most of the homes on Trulia in McLean are seven figures. You have to pay for those with money, just like everything else. It's not some sort of magical benefit of being rich that doesn't involve exchanging money for land and housing.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Here is an interesting article that states five reasons why the rich have NOT earned their money.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                          Albie/HC, you should stop discussing property taxes and discuss actual home prices more. Most of the homes on Trulia in McLean are seven figures. You have to pay for those with money, just like everything else. It's not some sort of magical benefit of being rich that doesn't involve exchanging money for land and housing.
                          But their houses are worth that much, they can go around and sell them for as much as they paid for them (usually), despite acquiring all the advantages that Alby discussed.

You are just arguing our point, that wealth (particularly, greater amounts of it), give distinct advantages which are not just present/future consumption.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• That advantage is part of the price of the house, JM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                              Here is an interesting article that states five reasons why the rich have NOT earned their money.
                              Well, I'll let Dad know that someone on the internet thinks that his money just fell from the sky.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                                Here is an interesting article that states five reasons why the rich have NOT earned their money.
                                That is more in the spirit of the thread, why the rich are not paying their fair share.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X