Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is an incredibly long shot, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is an incredibly long shot, but....

...can anyone recommend a good source of info on prostitution in 14th century London, ideally concerning the Southwark Soaks?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

There used to be this poster on here named "Lazarus and the Gimp" who was great with that sort of info. Dunno what happened to him, but if you can dig him up he should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

You're welcome.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

That could be awkward. I'm ****ing his wife.

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Three posts in, and this is already Thread Of The Year.

And welcome back, Elok!
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Thanks. But I'm really not sure where to take the thread from here.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Can't find anything on that exact location but there is a ton of stuff about prostitution in medieval England most of which focuses on the city of London. From what I understand "Gropec*nt Lane" (*=u) was the place to go. Ahh, the English. Their street names so often tell you exactly what happens on each street.

Sex sells, and sex has been sold just about as long as there've been people willing to pay for it and money to buy it with. Ruth Mazo Karras, a professor of history at the University of Minnesota, wrote an interesting book called Common Women: Prostitution and Sexuality in Medieval England (1998)…

In the 14th century London and its adjacent town, Westminster, was the largest, the richest, the most powerful, the most polluted, and the most violent city in England. What sights might a visitor of that time have seen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grope****_Lane
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Grope**** Lane ( /ˈɡrpkʌnt ˈln/) was a street name found in English towns and cities during the Middle Ages, believed to be a reference to the prostitution centred on those areas; it was normal practice for a medieval street name to reflect the street's function or the economic activity taking place within it. Grope****, the earliest known use of which is in about 1230, appears to have been derived as a compound of the words grope and ****. Streets with that name were often in the busiest parts of medieval towns and cities, and at least one appears to have been an important thoroughfare.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I knew someone would just google for information and post it here.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

But admit it, you thought it'd be molly bloom.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Actually the biography for Grope**** Lane wiki article that Oerdin posted did mention one book that might be promising.

Forget Google. It has nothing relevant on the Southwark Soaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                          Forget Google. It has nothing relevant on the Southwark Soaks.
                          That depends on what you expect to find
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I have absolutely no memory of writing that.

Comment

This is becoming increasingly common. I get linked to stuff and find myself going "Ahahahahahahahahaha. That's quite funny. Who wrote it? Oh! It appears that I did."

It's probably some horrendous degenerative brain condition. Or possibly beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X