So, I'm going back to school.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I'm going back to school.

I graduated from high school in 2003. Since then, I've had 2 stints at the local community college that have garnered me a cumulative GPA of 0.5. Yes, you read that correctly - 0.5. But I've decided that I'm ****ing tired of being a community college dropout, so I'm going back (again).

Unfortunately, the Dean of Student Development placed me on academic restriction until December 31, 2099. Yes, you read that correctly - December 31, 2099. So I talked to an advisor who said my GPA was so "impressive" that I would only be able to take 2 classes per semester until my cumulative GPA was 1.75 or greater.

I did a little math and determined that if I retake two of my failed classes during the summer semester and get As in both, I can have a GPA of 1.83 by fall, at which point I'll be able to take a full course load.

Of course, I'm also working fulltime, so how full a course load I'll be able to take is still up in the air. My college does offer online courses, however, so that might lessen the load. And on the plus side, my employer is willing to reimburse me for my classes... so long as I'm not simply donating money to the college as I've done the last two times.

So this summer I'll be retaking Intro to Creative Writing for a second time and Anthropology 101 for a third time. Both of these classes contribute to my General Education requirements so they're not a total waste of time, but I can't wait until I'm off restriction and able to take new classes that will actually be of interest to me.

Oh, and wtf am I going to be doing in college? Well, I want to be an astronomer. It's something I've wanted to be (other than world famous novelist) for a very long time. I know it's pretty ridiculous to decide at 26 that I'm going to go back to school to become an astronomer, but it's what I ****ing want so I don't care how ridiculous it is. My community college only offers two astronomy classes, however, so I'm going to have to suffice with an AS in Physics and then transfer to a 4-year school where I can get a BS in Astronomy. Of course, that's a couple years off, so who knows what my plan will be by then.

Anyway, I just forked over the money for the first class I'll be retaking, so I better be ****ing serious about this.

That is all.
    Last edited by Lorizael; April 2, 2012, 13:37.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Is there another community college in driving distance where you can pretend that you never attended the other community college?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I thought about that. But no, there isn't really. The one I'm going to is literally under 2 miles from where I work, so the convenience factor is very hard to ignore.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Um, not to be rude--but how did you manage to get a .5 gpa at community college?
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

By signing up for classes, showing up for a few lectures, never returning, and not bothering to drop. More succinctly, by being a depressed little **** with no motivation whatsoever.

Comment

Sounds like my freshman year. But at least on those that were really bad, I took the little extra effort to actually drop them. I eventually was able to graduate with honors because of that.

Good luck.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Good luck Lori! It's never too late to follow your dreams. Unless it's something ridiculous like wanting to join the marines.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                I graduated from high school in 2003. Since then, I've had 2 stints at the local community college that have garnered me a cumulative GPA of 0.5. Yes, you read that correctly - 0.5. But I've decided that I'm ****ing tired of being a community college dropout, so I'm going back (again).
                Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post

ACK!
                  I've lost 20 lbs since January, so I'm no longer fat. And I don't drink, so I'm not drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                    Good luck Lori! It's never too late to follow your dreams. Unless it's something ridiculous like wanting to join the marines.
                    It could be argued that my dreams are just as ridiculous as Speer's; but I'm trying to be optimistic about this whole thing, so I won't.

I'm not as smart as some on this board, but I don't lack for intelligence. My failings have always been primarily due to my lack of motivation. I won't claim to have finally conquered that demon, but I've made enough progress that I think it's worth it to give this whole accomplishing things another try.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post

ACK!

Sounds like Lori is on double-secret probation.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Apparently if I'd failed another 10 credits I'd be on academic suspension, which is somehow worse than academic restriction.

Comment

Best of luck, Lori! The impression I'm getting is that you can easily do it if you try.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Yes, good luck. Please don't take Tubes and my quoting of Animal House as doubt in your abilities. I have none.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                              Best of luck, Lori! The impression I'm getting is that you can easily do it if you try.
                              That's what my teachers always told me back in high school. Then they'd roll their eyes and move on to students who'd turned in their homework.

Comment

Working...
                              X