Broccoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
    I doubt the culture in Houston is that different from the culture of other Deep South cities like Atlanta and Jacksonville.
    So let me see if I got the nuanced distinctions down correctly.

The south really isn't the south, what's at issue is the the DEEP south. The DEEP south is only that portion of the south that Oerdin can use to support his thesis and the critieria for inclusion (definition) of the DEEP south is maleable as long as it supports the thesis.

Meanwhile California is beyond awesome and in particular San Diego except that portion that is right next door, El Cajon, which apparently is part of the DEEP south.

Does that cover it?
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

A wonderful thread about broccoli, shot to hell...
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I wish Oerdin would tell us what he really thinks about the south.

I'm tired of reading between the lines.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

We will see if the court is going to stretch the commerce clause to the point of destroying the 10th Amendment.

It is curious to see so many otherwise intelligent Apolytoners not understanding that something can be unconstitutional for the federal government and still be a State Law.

My belief is that a limited federal government goes a long way to securing freedom. Sometimes the federal government can have a good idea, but it is not their job to execute that idea. Now...if they were smart, they would have handled health care the same way they handled the 55 mph speed limit..."Adopt this health care bill or no federal funds". Sadly, that is constitutional.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
            So let me see if I got the nuanced distinctions down correctly.

The south really isn't the south, what's at issue is the the DEEP south. The DEEP south is only that portion of the south that Oerdin can use to support his thesis and the critieria for inclusion (definition) of the DEEP south is maleable as long as it supports the thesis.

Meanwhile California is beyond awesome and in particular San Diego except that portion that is right next door, El Cajon, which apparently is part of the DEEP south.

Does that cover it?
            Also, the deep south is where black people live, and I'm racist for pointing that out.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Al never showed up in this thread...perhaps he doesn't like broccoli...

Comment

Wouldn't Obama favour broccoflower over broccoli or caulifower?
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

A little early, but still...

Justices poised to strike down entire healthcare law

By David G. Savage

March 28, 2012, 8:35 a.m.
                  Reporting from Washington—
                  The Supreme Court's conservative justices said Wednesday they are prepared to strike down President Obama’s healthcare law entirely.

Picking up where they left off Tuesday, the conservatives said they thought a decision striking down the law's controversial individual mandate to purchase health insurance means the whole statute should fall with it.

The court’s conservatives sounded as though they had determined for themselves that the 2,700-page measure must be declared unconstitutional.

"One way or another, Congress will have to revisit it in toto," said Justice Antonin Scalia.

Agreeing, Justice Anthony Kennedy said it would be an "extreme proposition" to allow the various insurance regulations to stand after the mandate was struck down.

Meanwhile, the court's liberal justices argued for restraint. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said the court should do a "salvage job," not undertake a “wrecking operation." But she looked to be out-voted.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. said they shared the view of Scalia and Kennedy that the law should stand or fall in total. Along with Justice Clarence Thomas, they would have a majority to strike down the entire statute as unconstitutional.

An Obama administration lawyer, urging caution, said it would be "extraordinary" for the court to throw out the entire law. About 2.5 million young people under age 26 are on their parents' insurance now because of the new law. If it were struck down entirely, "2.5 million of them would be thrown off the insurance rolls," said Edwin Kneedler.

The administration indicated it was prepared to accept a ruling that some of the insurance reforms should fall if the mandate were struck down. For example, insurers would not be required to sell coverage to people with preexisting conditions. But Kneedler, a deputy solicitor general, said the court should go no further.

But the court's conservatives said the law was passed as a package and must fall as a package.

The justices are scheduled to meet Wednesday afternoon to debate the law's Medicaid expansion.

Comment

I wonder if Obama is starting to regret his supreme court broadside via his state of the union in 2010. The opinion in Citizens United was after all written by Kennedy, the noted swing vote.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                      I wonder if Obama is starting to regret his supreme court broadside via his state of the union in 2010. The opinion in Citizens United was after all written by Kennedy, the noted swing vote.
                      Are you suggesting that Supreme Court judges are bribeable ?
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

He's suggesting that Kennedy has hurt feelings from Obama's State of the Union Address and will vote against his health care plan out of revenge.

Which is silly.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

From what it appears to me, Chief Justice Roberts POV is still unascertainable and I read a lot of stuff prior to oral arguments that he may vote to uphold it. So I think the right wing champagne cork popping is slightly premature.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                            He's suggesting that Kennedy has hurt feelings from Obama's State of the Union Address and will vote against his health care plan out of revenge.

Which is silly.
                            Don't belive what Alpert says - I do actually understand english - just wanted to stretch Ogies "conspiracy theory" a bit
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              From what it appears to me, Chief Justice Roberts POV is still unascertainable and I read a lot of stuff prior to oral arguments that he may vote to uphold it. So I think the right wing champagne cork popping is slightly premature.
                              Very few non-lawyers have a full understanding of the supreme court. I certainly don't so I'm not going to embarrass myself with predictions. But in any case, I think the champagne cork popping you describe is coming from people who think more in terms of politics than law.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	404060_396132740397127_121239784553092_1448963_1855213370_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	9093004

Are there any Republican politicians who genuinely and consistently support the idea of smaller government?
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X