No announcement yet.

Broccoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans should be grateful for our standing up to this encroaching menace.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• We could play this the other way:

With this impending deal we will share a land border with Europe. EU membership can't be far behind.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Be careful, Denmark may be small, but they punch above their weight...

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• OK, Obama needs to get a new metaphor because he's over using that one.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Sounds like I don't need sharpening my battleaxe - though, I guess that we will keep a longboat or two ready in case the canadian "fleet" ( ) tries something.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
              Americans should be grateful for our standing up to this encroaching menace.

You think that "March of The Penguins" is an encroaching menace.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Here's a great post from CFC:

Originally posted by Integral
                So we know that the US pays way too much for healthcare, and we all have ideas about how to fix it. This is a post about the distribution of that healthcare spending.

Are we spending too much on inpatient care? Outpatient care? Maybe it's all about administration and paperwork, and if we just cut out the middlemen we could slice out the extra costs. Maybe we're too damn fat, or we practice defensive medicine more than other countries. Maybe we coddle doctors and pay them too much.

McKinsey and Company have broken down US spending into these (and more) categories. Here are two key pictures:

You'd expect the US to be on the line, if we were spending in the same way that other countries are. Above the line means you're spending more than we'd expect, below the line that you're spending less than we'd expect, for your national income.

Let's break this down a bit.
                0. "Remaining health care spending" in the graph (the biggest portion) is just the amount we would be spending if we were on the line.
                1. The US pays about 50% more than it would be expected to. Specifically, we're paying $7000 per person, but based on our wealth and the average payment across other countries, we ought to be spending closer to $5000.
                2. The largest single area of "overspending" is in outpatient care.
                3. None of the red herrings matter a whole lot. We pay doctors more, and that leads to increased costs, but not by much.
                4. We actually overspend by a ton on administration and insurance, but those are relatively small pieces of a much bigger picture. Cutting admin expenditures in half wouldn't do much to that big picture.

This basically maps out a landscape of where reform needs to happen. Outpatient care is extremely expensive in the US, and reforming outpatient care would be a massive step in the right direction. We spend a bit more than we should on drugs, and on administration. We can't really blame being fatter than other countries, or paying doctors more, except perhaps in combination.

So many pretty charts about the healthcare spending situation.

"higher than expected", specifically, means higher than one would expect a country with our income level to spend, using the OECD countries to figure out the relationship between wealth and health care spending.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• "Great post from CFC" is an oxymoron.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    You think that "March of The Penguins" is an encroaching menace.
                    "Look at the bones!"

Comment

• Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Any last-minute predictions?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Yeah, the individual mandate is probably screwed in spite of all logic and reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                            Any last-minute predictions?
                            Groups of people will be pissed.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Aww, seeing this thread bumped got me excited thinking the decision was handed down.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Sorry, I wanted to make sure I could find it.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X