No announcement yet.

Broccoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like how universal healthcare is used as a wedge against other personal freedoms however. "You can't do X because it is unhealthy and costs The System money, blah, blah". Mandate a system I can't opt out of then go after things that make life fun (because of course nature dictates these be the most unhealthy...). Very nice.

[/Rant]
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
      Please elaborate - are you some kind of rich kid that expect your parents to pay for your (whatever disease you might catch) or are you som poor guy that don't want anyone to interfere with your healt ?
      I'm a person who thinks our healthcare system is ****ed up, and this isn't changing that... it's locking it in place and artificially increasing demand for the ****ed up system by forcing people into it. I would be against it whatever my income level because it's about as stupid a setup as is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
        I don't like how universal healthcare is used as a wedge against other personal freedoms however. "You can't do X because it is unhealthy and costs The System money, blah, blah". Mandate a system I can't opt out of then go after things that make life fun (because of course nature dictates these be the most unhealthy...). Very nice.

[/Rant]
        Well, we europeans are actually revolting against that. One thing is to secure health and old age, but we actually want the right to do stupid things and we are telling our politicians this.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          I'm a person who thinks our healthcare system is ****ed up, and this isn't changing that... it's locking it in place and artificially increasing demand for the ****ed up system by forcing people into it. I would be against it whatever my income level because it's about as stupid a setup as is possible.
          Fine - please tell how it should be - I'm quite curious.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• If people don't want health coverage they can just pay out of pocket. Oh wait, no they can't, because we tax the **** out of them if they do.

Why the hell do I need insurance for my yearly general practitioner checkup? It's not like that's up in the air or something.

Comment

Fine - please tell how it should be - I'm quite curious.
              Single payer would be much preferable. As would a true free market solution + safety net. Instead we're combining the worst of both worlds.

Comment

Well, we europeans are actually revolting against that. One thing is to secure health and old age, but we actually want the right to do stupid things and we are telling our politicians this.
                It's particularly infuriating because it is so arbitrary. I could have built and staffed a hospital with the cigarette taxes I paid over the years (never mind purchase private insurance were my government to allow me to do so) yet I never once saw the health/morality police tax and prohibit the consumption of Twinkies or Big Macs.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• State cigarette taxes in America are usually pretty well-targeted to get the maximum amount of revenue out; i.e. balance out decrease in demand with amount of revenue per sale, so the reality is that they're ordinary revenue-driven excise taxes masquerading as a sin tax.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                    If people don't want health coverage they can just pay out of pocket. Oh wait, no they can't, because we tax the **** out of them if they do.

Why the hell do I need insurance for my yearly general practitioner checkup? It's not like that's up in the air or something.
                    reg, how old are you ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      State cigarette taxes in America are usually pretty well-targeted to get the maximum amount of revenue out; i.e. balance out decrease in demand with amount of revenue per sale, so the reality is that they're ordinary revenue-driven excise taxes masquerading as a sin tax.
                      They are designed the same way here but the natives have thrown a huge wrench into things the last few years. They have a huge share of the market with tax free smokes (illegal to buy) which for PC reasons the government absolutely refuses to clamp down on. I travel the province with my job and know where all the fine reserves can be found.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        It's particularly infuriating because it is so arbitrary. I could have built and staffed a hospital with the cigarette taxes I paid over the years (never mind purchase private insurance were my government to allow me to do so) yet I never once saw the health/morality police tax and prohibit the consumption of Twinkies or Big Macs.
                        I think that if we for a moment stop the dispute about Hans Ø, we danes and you canucks can agree on several points

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• I like broccoli, I'm gonna have to get serious about the food I eat but there just any chef in me Still eating way too much sugar and fat for being pre-diabetic (or diabetic)

and I really gotta get motivated to pump iron, muscle mass is a very effective weapon against diabetes

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                            James Carville is ****ing awesome, by the way. The man was raised by eels!

To be fair, Obama has a fairly comfortable lead in nearly all the "battleground" states over Romney as of last week. Now, caveats apply, it is seven months until Election Day, etc etc etc
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I think that if we for a moment stop the dispute about Hans Ø, we danes and you canucks can agree on several points
                              We'd probably give you the damn island if you didn't want it so bad.

Comment

• Oh, you are saying that canucks would give up their imperialistic dreams if we just wanted what is ours ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X