John Carter. Braindead's movie review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Carter. Braindead's movie review

If you read and enjoyed "Princess of Mars", by Edgar Rice Burroughs, when you were a child then you may reasonably expect to thoroughly enjoy this movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

OTH If you have not read "Princess of Mars" there is a real possibility that you will dislike this movie for several reasons.
    1. It is unashamedly unrealistic escapist trash
    2. There is no clear narrative evident in the movie so you may wonder "what on Mars is going on"
    3. If you take the girlfriend she will think your taste is crass and barbaric (do her a favour and leave her home).

My movie review.

If you haven't read the book here is a brief summary. A former CSA cavalry man is teleported to Mars in about 1868. He lands in the middle of nowhere and is soon found by a tribe of "green men" who are the Tharks led by Tars Tarkas. (There are other tribes of green men). Carter is captured but soon earns the respect of Tars Tarkas who appoints him as his 2IC.

Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, meanwhile flees Helium to avoid a forced dynastic marriage which would allow a nasty tyrant to become master of Mars. Dejah falls into the hands of the Tharks. Carter, Dejah and a dishonoured green female run away. They get into big fight with bad guys and finish up back with the Tharks.

Meanwhile there had been a challenge deposing Tars Tarkas. Carter and Tars are sentenced to death in the arena but kill some monsters, challenge the new leader, kill him and Carter becomes leader of the tribe.

Carter leads his Tharks against the enemies of Helium capturing there city and then they go and liberate Helium (big battle). Carter marries Dejah and gets teleported back to earth.

Some points:
    1. Tars Tarkas, Jeddak of Thark, was superb. And consistent with (my) expectations from the book.
    2. Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, was superb. And consistent with (my) expectations from the book.
    3. Sola, daughter of Tars Tarkas was superb. And consistent with (my) expectations from the book.
    4. The flying machines were magnificent. (Looked like something from the imagination od a Jules Verne. What you might expect of flying machines dreamed up before flight on earth).
    5. John Carter himself was a bit of a disappointment. Portrayed as something of a self-centred **** with a gigantic chip on his shoulder. And his leaping about defied gravity "too much".
    6. I liked the battle for Helium, particularly the portrayal of the Tharkian horde.
    7. The violence was not far from non-stop. Lots of sword fighting, shooting, air battles and some explosions.
    8. Carter married the Princess but without any mushy romance nonsense. (no deep and meaningful nonsense to interrupt the sword fights and battles).

isn't this called Shrek or the Princess Bride?

Comment

I''m staying in tomorrow night. I might as well watch it.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I thought this movie was unbelievably bad...

The female lead was pretty hot. Wasn't paying enough attention to what she was saying to remember her name though. I did catch that she's a princess. I like the outfits they wear on mars
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Spoken like a true 19 year old.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

The female lead was pretty hot.

Real Life

Movie

Bane's Artwork

Frazetta Cover Art for Book

I'd say... Good Casting
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Her tits have to be fake. They pop out with no sag and just seem to defy gravity.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's not like playing with yourself is screwing a real woman, so who cares if the tits are fake?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What I've wondered about as the years pass; eventually, here's this 75 year old sagging woman, with tits reaching for the sky. Seems really weird.

Comment

Working...
                    X