Why isn't this murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
    No, no, no, that's what he claims. He also initally claimed that he "jumped out of some bushes" which aren't there
    The timeline of the phone conversation corroborates this. Martin got shot 2-3 minutes or so after the phone conversation ended (around which time Zimmerman told the dispatcher he'd lost sight of Martin). The shooting occurred about 30 seconds from Zimmerman's car at a walking pace.

But none of this actually matters because even if that weren't true, it wouldn't make it manslaughter. And even if it weren't true, there isn't half enough evidence to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt.

Comment

• Wiglaf, the guy in here with an actual law degree, just explained that this isn't the case in the other thread
      You mean the guy who has 90% of his posts be barely veiled trolls and a stout refusal to go to any DC area polymeets? Yeah, great authority to turn too.

There are also people with law degrees who would disagree with his assessment.

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
      The timeline of the phone conversation corroborates this.
      How does it corroborate a claim that he could no longer see him? It fits, if he's telling the truth, but you know, he also said that Martin was "acting suspiciously" without being able to articulate why he was, which cares his situational awareness into question.

Martin got shot 2-3 minutes or so after the phone conversation ended (around which time Zimmerman told the dispatcher he'd lost sight of Martin). The shooting occurred about 30 seconds from Zimmerman's car at a walking pace.
      So, 20 yards from his car? Maybe 30? I just did 30-mississippis outside my office, in other words not when Zimmerman was "calmly standing by his car" as you previously asserted?

But none of this actually matters because even if that weren't true, it wouldn't make it manslaughter. And even if it weren't true, there isn't half enough evidence to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt.
      Rage, is your assertion that Martin would still have been shot by Zimmerman if Zimmerman had stayed in his ****ing car like the dispatching officer suggested?

Because that's the only way that we get to "Zimmerman was not responsible for the series of events that led to the Martin getting shot".
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        Wiglaf, the guy in here with an actual law degree, just explained that this isn't the case in the other thread.

You're quoting Wiglaf as an authority?

Hoo boy!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• I haven't followed the case word by word or anything, but is it correct that the events went something like this?

Zimmerman rings cops because a young black kid is out on the streets at night
          Cops say back off
          Zimmerman ignores cops and follows unarmed minor in the dark
          Zimmerman tells cops he's lost the minor
          Zimmerman and minor have a fight, no-one but Zimmerman knows who started it
          Zimmerman shoots unarmed minor

Am I missing anything? How exactly is this not at least manslaughter? Only in America can you ignore the police and end up shooting a child on the streets and that's just considered fair game.

Comment

• Pretty much yeah.

Strictly speaking the dispatcher only advised him to not follow him, not ordered to back off.
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
              You're quoting Wiglaf as an authority?

Hoo boy!
              Be fair. Sometimes Wiglaf does make a good point. But when he does, it's typically caked with smileys and references to sexual activity.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                I haven't followed the case word by word or anything, but is it correct that the events went something like this?

Zimmerman rings cops because a young black kid is out on the streets at night
                Cops say back off
                Zimmerman ignores cops and follows unarmed minor in the dark
                Zimmerman tells cops he's lost the minor
                Zimmerman and minor have a fight, no-one but Zimmerman knows who started it
                Zimmerman shoots unarmed minor

Am I missing anything? How exactly is this not at least manslaughter? Only in America can you ignore the police and end up shooting a child on the streets and that's just considered fair game.
                IIUC, there's inadequate evidence to say "beyond a reasonable doubt." Since only Zimmerman knows anything about what happened after the phone call and his testimony is apparently vague, there's no clear picture of what happened, so he defaults to innocent. IMO he should be in trouble just for going after the kid solo while packing heat, but I don't write the laws. From what little I've heard (haven't followed the case either), Zimmerman sounds mildly deranged and shouldn't have been allowed to carry in the first place.
                1011 1100

Comment

• Yeah, welcome to the US.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Shut up and eat your...

(consults reference)

..."Poteen," biznatch.
                    1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      IIUC, there's inadequate evidence to say "beyond a reasonable doubt." Since only Zimmerman knows anything about what happened after the phone call and his testimony is apparently vague, there's no clear picture of what happened, so he defaults to innocent. IMO he should be in trouble just for going after the kid solo while packing heat, but I don't write the laws. From what little I've heard (haven't followed the case either), Zimmerman sounds mildly deranged and shouldn't have been allowed to carry in the first place.
                      If the kid had been carrying a gun too (or even a knife) then this would seem less bizarre, but he seemingly had nothing more dangerous than a bag of candy.

Comment

• DP

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          Shut up and eat your...

(consults reference)

..."Poteen," biznatch.

Sorry, your lament was just one of those "Doh!" comments.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                            If the kid had been carrying a gun too (or even a knife) then this would seem less bizarre, but he seemingly had nothing more dangerous than a bag of candy.
                            Of course, there was no way Zimmerman could have known that going in--which is just another reason why he should have stayed the hell away. The man may very well get off by reason of being unhinged. One hopes he will at least get some kind of legal injunction against his ever possessing a firearm again. His behavior was wildly irresponsible.
                            1011 1100

Comment

• Zimmerman was carrying a standard .38 pistol. He's stated the weapon was in the pocket of his jacket, the same type of jacket issued to scholastic lettermen. The pockets on that type of jacket are too shallow to conceal a pistol with a standard barrel, so the weapon would have been visible. Basically what's being said here is that if you're unarmed and being stalked by a man with a gun you are obligated to allow him to get off a shot before you attempt to protect yourself.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• I heard he was carrying a PF-9.

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X