Stupid Fing VLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Fing VLC

Gave me a bunch of adware. How can I get rid of this ****?

Stupid scammers using VLC to package trojans.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    Gave me a bunch of adware. How can I get rid of this ****?

Stupid scammers using VLC to package trojans.
    What's a 'fing'? That's a clever way to sell condoms I guess

Comment

Custom install is your friend.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Only and a real idiot would let that happen.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
          Only and a real idiot would let that happen.
          QFT. Alpert fail.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

When did VLC start carrying adware???
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I believe the latest edition does but there is a check box asking if you want to install it or not. You just unclick the box and say no.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

People that actually have brains read things when they are installing software... morons just click away...

You be the judge.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Hey *******, I did custom install and unchecked everything. When I saw it installed it anyway, I went and uninstalled the crap it installed. That didn't ****ing work.

You want to try to install it safely, you smug ****ers?

This website is for sale! downloadster.org is your first and best source for information about downloadster. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Go. Download and uncheck the adware. Go ahead.
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I have it as a backup to Nero. I've recommended it many times. I think Cnet is where I got it and where I send people. Maybe the site where you got it is dodgy.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've installed VLC many times on multiple computers. I've never had a problem with adware.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You're an unemployed 26 year-old virgin. Adware on your pc is the last thing you should be worried about.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Here's an article for you idiots who doubt:

In a recent blog post, VLC developer Ludovic Fauvet said that scammers are taking advantage of the availability of the VLC source code to trick users. The scammers are adding malware and adware to VLC and releasing them as the original product.

This is how the scammers work:

They get the VLC code and add adware or malware.
                            They release their version of VLC as the original.
                            They buy advertisements using Google AdWords.
                            They earn more money through the malware and adware bundled with their version of VLC.
                            They buy more advertisements.
                            This is a direct violation of the GPL under which the VLC source code is being distributed. (Obviously the scammers do not care about license violation.) And more importantly, this tarnishes the VLC brand in the eyes of unsuspecting users.

This is what Ludovic Fauvet wrote:

What bothers us the most is that many of them are bundling VLC with various crapware to monetize it in ways that mislead our users by thinking they’re downloading an original version. This is not acceptable. The result is a poor product that doesn’t work as intended, that can’t be uninstalled and that clearly abuses its users and their privacy. Not to mention that it also discredits our work as volunteers and that it’s time-consuming, time that is not invested in the development.

Remember to download VLC only from the official repositories or the official website to be safe.

For obvious reasons, we will not link to those scammers’ websites here. However, this is not the first time that a popular open source project has been abused by scammers. Last year, Blender reported that scammers are rebranding their application and selling them.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              I have it as a backup to Nero. I've recommended it many times. I think Cnet is where I got it and where I send people. Maybe the site where you got it is dodgy.
                              Idiots?
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X