Intel on Mobile Phones/Tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    There's a lot of software that you can't just cross-compile. And people aren't necessarily going to want to buy new copies of software. You distribute binaries, not source code, and the binaries are x86. Why do you think so few things are x64, despite it having been out for years?
    If your software isn't portable in 2012, you should be fired.
    People may not want to buy new copies of software, but they always do. Further, these can be done via updates and not necessarily new purchases.
    Few things are x64 because few things need to be 64-bit. To make our software 64-bit we flipped a switch and it just worked. We ship 32-bit & 64-bit versions on Mac, Windows, and Linux. It isn't very difficult. There are also performance disadvantages in shifting to x64 if you don't need the address space (memory usage requirements, lack of uOP fusion on Core processors).
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Tell me, HC -- which is "electrically faster" -- RISC, CISC, or VLIW? Hell, what about VLIW vs SIMD?

You're about to discover how complicated these approaches all are, and why they all are valid in certain scenarios.

Did you know that DirectX 8 GPUs were RISC, modern ATI GPUs are VLIW and modern Nvidia GPUs are SIMD?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Asher, don't mind me, I'm spouting off what they told us when they briefly discussed RISC in my Computer Systems lecture. You probably know better than me.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I answered this thread in the first reply. Should have closed the thread then.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

I've heard that Intel's 22nm chips will be competitive.

Also, competing in the tablet market might not be the same as competing in the phone market.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
              I answered this thread in the first reply. Should have closed the thread then.
              I agree. You should have closed every other thread in the OT while you were at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                There's a lot of software that you can't just cross-compile. And people aren't necessarily going to want to buy new copies of software. You distribute binaries, not source code, and the binaries are x86. Why do you think so few things are x64, despite it having been out for years?

Comment

Working...
                X