No announcement yet.

Why don't we raise the gas tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't say privatized, I said tolled. Why not tax on consumption on public resources where possible?
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

If you are going to have tolls why not let the market decide where roads go and how much they cost?

The downside of tolls vs gas taxes is that with tolls you selectively tax drivers who use certain routes, a low mileage driver who has to use a toll road every day is disporportionately highly taxed. Also generally toll roads are the major roads where average speeds are higher and gas consumption is lower, rather than the taxing the really inefficient low mpg around town driving you really want to discourage. You know, people driving half a mile to the shop etc.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Well, except that longer roads have more wear and tear?

The US doesn't really go in for the social engineering (which Sweden does), unfortunately. So there has to be other arguments for it.

In the past, the arguments against tolls is that they are hard to implement properly. With computers and cameras everywhere, they wouldn't be. In such a case, tolls would be fine... and would allow private operators to determine where to put new roads (or build subways or run bus lines).

While I prefer Sweden's route, capitalism hasn't been proven not to work with transportation infrastructure. The only thing that has been proven to not work well is the current US system, the corporatism system.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well you've got the EZ Pass which seems like a great system.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            The US doesn't really go in for the social engineering (which Sweden does), unfortunately. So there has to be other arguments for it.
            Not really, people just have to understand the arguments.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
              If inflation exists, then taxes must increase over time to maintain a constant level of effectiveness.
              If inflation were the only variable. However, technology has caused decreases in the price of many things and there may be economies of scale that come into play with more vehicles.

I am not saying that the tax shouldn't be increased...I am just saying that it is not a given that it should increase just based on the fact that it hasn't increased since 1993.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

They should regularly have the president on TV shouting "GET OFF YOUR FAT ASS AND WALK TO THE SHOPS YOU LAZY F*CK!"
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  ...roads aren't fully funded by gas taxes and that is not even considering the negative externalities of pollution and its effects.
                  How about mass transit. Are the riders paying the full cost of the service?
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

In Sweden they decided to make Prof./staff/etc pay for parking at University buildings at the night and weekend.

This wasn't because there were lots of people trying to park there, there was very few.

It was because the University leadership decided that they didn't think that people should be working on nights/weekends and that they didn't like people driving their cars to the University (the latter is also demonstrated in their continual attempts to make parking/etc more difficult).

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                      How about mass transit. Are the riders paying the full cost of the service?
                      A higher portion.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

But not entirely?

Raise the gas taxes simultaneous to public transit fares. If we all have to pay for what we use....
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Sure.

The gas tax is way way under what it should be, though.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I don't pay your gas tax so I don't have a dog in the fight but the argument car drivers don't pay the total cost for the roads is a poor one.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                              They should regularly have the president on TV shouting "GET OFF YOUR FAT ASS AND WALK TO THE SHOPS YOU LAZY F*CK!"
                              Which might actually have an impact if they didn't regularly fly to other cities to do their shopping.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

True that.

Global warming activists jetting to tropical resorts to warn us all of the dangers of global warming...

Comment

Working...
                                X