No announcement yet.

Why don't we raise the gas tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know that's an average across the nation, right? Not everyone is going to see the same numbers at the local gas stations. I'm sorry for not looking up the exact national average to the tenth of a penny.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      You know that's an average across the nation, right? Not everyone is going to see the same numbers at the local gas stations. I'm sorry for not looking up the exact national average to the tenth of a penny.
      Perchance we check Main_Brain's question:

Originally posted by Main_Brain View Post
      How much does Gas cost in the US at this Point? Germany today hit an depressive 1,70@/l Super (Roz 95) [incl. Taxes ~91 Cent]
      Which equals 6,435 Dollars per Gallon. Damn the Weekend Peak
      He wasn't asking what the price is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama or Gaithersburg, Maryland. He asked about the US in general.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• gribby was close enough, you're being absurdly pedantic.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• So? I don't live in the entire country so I can't give a national average off-hand. If he wanted someone to Google it (or Bing it I guess because apparently Google's new privacy policy threatens to make Google the next government ) he could have done it himself.

x-post

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
            Absolutely. Privatised roads, making profit. It's the american way.
            I don't see anything wrong with that, modulo the issue with actually collecting usage fees on many roads.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              Gaithersburg, Maryland
              Oh! Oh! I know the price there!
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                gribby was close enough, you're being absurdly pedantic.
                Indeed.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• The big problem I have with private toll roads is those private companies almost always get the government to use imminent domain to seize private property which is then given/sold at really low prices to said politically connected private company. Why should imminent domain be abused by taking land from one private owner and giving it/selling it at low prices to another private owner? The use of imminent domain can be justified as a public good if it's going to be used to build a public road but not if it's going to a private for profit company, at least in my mind.

Comment

• eminent domain, not imminent.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      eminent domain, not imminent.

WARNING: Domain imminent!

Comment

• Har Har.

Comment

• Yes, but is that a problem of free enterprise, or is it a problem of government run amok?
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            Oh! Oh! I know the price there!
                            That Exxon station by the Kentlands always charges inexplicably high prices, like a good 25-50 cents more than anybody else in town. And their blunts are always stale too.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• There are more bank branches near my house than gas stations. It is weird.

Comment

• Based on HC's observations we would raise more revenue by increasing banking taxes.
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X