No announcement yet.

KH were you in Newport Beach recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because the thought that I dislike or want to punish the people who provide me with valuable service every day simply because my labor is more valuable than theirs is repugnant to me. As for why I tip 25% on average:

1) it might cost me an extra thousand a year or so (assuming I spend 15k on eating out) So what?
    2) it provides some instrumental value at places I go frequently
    3) it makes me feel good
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

$15K eating out? Holy crap. I only made half that last year!

Talk about the 1% being out of touch.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Dude, you make ****-all. Comparing people's spending habits to yours is ridiculous. I think we've been over this before.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Out of touch? I don't think so. KH gave three good answers (particularly # 3 IMHO).

What is the point in working your ass off to get to the "1%" if you can't enjoy it? How many years of grad school did you pay for to make your $7500 last year?

My personal opinion is that anybody who gets a doctorate in physics should be able to do whatever the hell they please (within reason, of course!)
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Please. I'm barely in the 1%, and if you adjust for nyc prices I'm not even close.

Also, who the **** is out of touch? I know that most people don't spend that much. So what?

Edit: xpost

Edit 2: if you restrict to earned income or consumption (more meaningful measures) I'm either much more solidly 1% or even further away, respectively.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Alby thinks he's better than other people because he's poor. Look Alby, you aren't some ****ing Franciscan monk. Get a real job or endure scorn, but don't judge people just because they freely spend money they rightfully earned.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I always tip well. It's the best way to show bitches that I'm a classy kind of guy.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                  Plus...25% is a bit extravagant, isn't it?
                  No. It's not even the highest standard option on the cab touchscreen...

Comment

I usually tip ~20%, but I'm an unabashed miser.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      That's funny because I've read him say "Get a real job" to me like 15 times here. How does that not sound like him?
                      Because he's not greedy?

Comment

Once, I was on a business trip in North Jersey with two Black co-workers and a white one. We went to dinner and the waitress handed a menu to the white guy, tossed menus at the Black guys, and paused with me before handing it to me. Later, my white co-worker confronted her about her apparent racism and she said her boyfriend is Black or something.

How much of a tip should she have gotten? Her service was adequate.
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          Alby thinks he's better than other people because he's poor. Look Alby, you aren't some ****ing Franciscan monk. Get a real job or endure scorn, but don't judge people just because they freely spend money they rightfully earned.
                          No. He's trying to deny status to people who have real jobs by portraying them as stuck-up elitists who you couldn't have a beer with. (And when I say "real job" I include jobs at real restaurants where people get tips, but not jobs at crappy fast food places where Al has worked in the past.) That's just an attempt to say KH is no better then his sorry unemployed ass.

Comment

I believe that when KH and others tell Alpert to get a "real" job, they mean to get one appropriate for his level of education, age, and skills. Fastfood work is a real job, but it is not suitable for a college graduate. I think the better thing to say to Alpert is to get a career.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                              No. It's not even the highest standard option on the cab touchscreen...
                              Wolf selling wolf tickets
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                                I leave 25% tip on average. **** off.
                                I only leave 20%.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X