No announcement yet.

KH were you in Newport Beach recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get a job and move some where that's not a cesspool of crime. Have you no ambition beyond having gay sex on a boat?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
      ok so this is both unclear and doesn't appear to add anything to the discussion. maybe my questions could be better, so let me try again. you said that

"We need to live with a knife to our throats. It will build a tougher, better breed of American. "

what do you mean by 'a knife to our throats'? war? poverty? government oppression? or oppression by some other social force? something else entirely?

then please explain how and why this 'knife to the throat' would create better people.
      I don't know. We just need something harder. Metaphorically, we're trained to eat cake and throw away the broccoli.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Al, I hope that you never become a marine - you have don't have the mental and social capacity to be a such.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          I don't know. We just need something harder. Metaphorically, we're trained to eat cake and throw away the broccoli.
          People with bad parents, maybe (which is not the majority of children in America, as was previously established).

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            i see. well, actually, i don't. i don't think we can take this any further.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post

There's loads of local food initiatives here in South Wales, focussed in exactly the way Mike describes.
              yep. i used to be involved in one in swansea. good people and good food
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                I died laughing reading that story when I saw it on dealbreaker...
                Damn it! Conform to our stereotypes!
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                  i see. well, actually, i don't. i don't think we can take this any further.
                  I have to ask you. How does the mettle of the average Brazilian compare with the average English?

Dr. Seery says his study shows that, under the right conditions, experiencing some adversity may foster resilience. Participants were asked whether they had experienced each of 37 negative events and the ages at which they occurred. Subjects with a history of some lifetime adversity showed lower distress, fewer symptoms of post-traumatic stress, and higher life satisfaction. They also appeared to handle recent adverse events better than other participants. Dr. Seery says age, personality characteristics and social support systems had no measurable impact on the relationship between adversity and mental health.

"So much of the existing literature shows that having experience with a negative life event is bad, with negative effects on mental and physical health," says Dr. Seery. "But we've found that that is not the whole story, and that people are more resilient in general than we may think."

Adversity, Dr. Seery adds, can help people develop a "psychological immune system" to help them cope with the slings and arrows that life throws, while those with no experience of adversity may have a hard time dealing with tough times.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• i'm really not sure what you mean by mettle.

if you mean, do brasilians cope with adversity better then i would say that it's impossible to generalise.

Comment

• Key takeaways from this thread...

1. Oerdin is still always wrong.

2. NYE still doesn't understand economics.

3. Albi is still a Taliban at heart.

Comment

• I thought the key takeaway was that there is definite potential for future threads about gardening in this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                          Key takeaways from this thread...

1. Oerdin is still always wrong.

2. NYE still doesn't understand economics.

3. Albi is still a Taliban at heart.
                          4. Drake never adds anything of value.
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                            4. Drake never adds anything of value.
                            He's responsible for your post.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Then again, my post wasn't very valuable, I admit.
                              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                                I did not put enough thought into my first reply. The 9 months greenhouse thing, mostly sure.

The topic of this threadjack is what can be grown in a garden during the summer months in northern climates.
                                I've read a couple books by a Maine farmer who grows salad crops through the winter using high tunnels combined with low tunnels, so this isn't unusual.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X