Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Ethical to Program an Intelligent Robot So that it Will Want to Be Your Slave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we program self-aware robots to want to do menial work and they refuse, is it ethical to reprogram them so that they no longer refuse?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Shape shifting sex robots
      I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
        Sure. If you can hard program it then they have no self determination. Try programming a human that way.

At the end of the day, they are a construct. A complex conglomeration of human supplied algorithms.
        So if there's a bug, are you allowed to punish it, or it's free to go as soon as it makes the decision?
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I am even less concerned by this than I am about breeding and training guide dogs for the blind.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
            I think there's a problem with comparing possibly sentient machines to animals we believe are sentient. When animals feel happy, there is a chemical process that triggers the subjective experience of pleasure and they like it and want more. A robot is simply programmed to act in a certain way. It might be self-aware and have subjective experiences of sight, hearing, etc., but can you possibly determine if a robot is actually happy with its existence and doing what it likes or is it just trapped following a program and basically watching itself behave as a slave? How could you write a program that will allow the robot to signal that it is having a subjective experience?
            How is believing you are happy and actually being happy different? Happiness is just thoughts. If it has any free will, it's making decisions based on its own desires. As long as all we do is make it euphoric or something for it to be a servant, it's still got free will. We've just biased it towards stuff.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

You could just avoid this whole dilemna by not creating sentient robots. Christ, has no-one seen a sci-fi movie in the last 30 years..

Comment

I don't know, but teen aged girls have been watching slasher films for years and still go down into the dark basement scantily dressed.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What are the signs of self-awareness?
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

It doesn't laugh at "Whitney." Ha ha! Topical comedy!
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Wrong thread.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                        So if there's a bug, are you allowed to punish it, or it's free to go as soon as it makes the decision?
                        Its a machine. Do you punish your car when it breaks down?
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I would argue that there's a point when it stops becoming strictly a machine and you have to start treating it like a human.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            I would argue that there's a point when it stops becoming strictly a machine and you have to start treating it like a human.
                            I disagree...as long as it is a construct, it is simply responding to a set of human developed algorithms. How does it stop becoming "strictly a machine"?
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

When you can't tell the difference anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                                When you can't tell the difference anymore.
                                lol! I guess that is as good a reason as any.

Comment

Working...
                                X