On the British roots of "Jackass"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the British roots of "Jackass"

SUMMARY: Yorkshire, England has a traditional pastime wherein men stuff a pair of live ferrets down their pants and compete to see who can leave them there the longest. While ferrets are normally comfortable in enclosed spaces, and you do better with recently-fed ferrets, even under ideal circumstances you get your willy nibbled at like a worm on a hook. And those teeth draw blood. The world record is five and a half hours. The tradition has died out, mostly, in England, but for some reason Richmond, VA has been holding American "championships" for almost ten years now.

Questions: Is Yorkshire known among Brits for being home to a "special" kind of person? For example, are there known issues of runoff from mining/industry leaking toxins into the groundwater there? Also, HC and Kuci: what the hell is up with NoVa these days?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Wezil approves of ferret legging.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Is that a ferret in your pants or are you just happy to see me?
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        Is that a ferret in your pants or are you just bleeding from your genitals?
        ftfy
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Welcome to England.

The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

No way that you are going to get me click play on that
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret_legging
              Questions: Is Yorkshire known among Brits for being home to a "special" kind of person? For example, are there known issues of runoff from mining/industry leaking toxins into the groundwater there? Also, HC and Kuci: what the hell is up with NoVa these days?
              By stereotype but it is all bullsh*t...it was known for its mining in the past, but I am from the east of Yorkshire and my home city is more known for its fishing...well...was. But actually the majority of Yorkshire is urban and has about the same population as Scotland.
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                No way that you are going to get me click play on that
                Oh don't worry...it is just a British traditional. If you think we are mental in Yorkshire, you should try going to Laz's neck of the woods...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                  Oh don't worry...it is just a British traditional. If you think we are mental in Yorkshire, you should try going to Laz's neck of the woods...
                  Yeah, and swedes are also eating surstrømming as a tradition, but even brits that are commonly known not to have taste buds would probably chocke on this "traditional" dish
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                    By stereotype but it is all bullsh*t...it was known for its mining in the past, but I am from the east of Yorkshire and my home city is more known for its fishing...well...was. But actually the majority of Yorkshire is urban and has about the same population as Scotland.
                    So...dare I ask how long you have Fought the Ferrets?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

PH doesn't fight the ferret, he's more a dance around the maypole kind of guy.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret_legging

SUMMARY: Yorkshire, England has a traditional pastime wherein men stuff a pair of live ferrets down their pants and compete to see who can leave them there the longest. While ferrets are normally comfortable in enclosed spaces, and you do better with recently-fed ferrets, even under ideal circumstances you get your willy nibbled at like a worm on a hook. And those teeth draw blood. The world record is five and a half hours. The tradition has died out, mostly, in England, but for some reason Richmond, VA has been holding American "championships" for almost ten years now.

1. Richmond isn't northern Virginia
                        2. WTF, they do that in Richmond? I'd expect it from Roanoke, but Richmond?!
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          1. Richmond isn't northern Virginia
                          2. WTF, they do that in Richmond? I'd expect it from Roanoke, but Richmond?!
                          Well the original Richmond is in Yorkshire you know. Like (Old) York
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                            PH doesn't fight the ferret, he's more a dance around the maypole kind of guy.
                            Is that some kind of euphemism? Cheeky!
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Glad someone got it.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X