Fair is fair . . . Georgia Democrats propose an anti-vasectomy bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    And in a generation, no one to make the arguments at all!
    True enough, but the second part of my plan is that you can get the antidote provided you pass a very stringent psychological profiling.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
      I disagree when it involves physical and potentially life threatening changes to your body.
      If there are life-threatening consequences involved, very few people will insist on the mother going through with it.

I don't know to be honest. Its such a difficult subject, and as soon as you land on a solution that sounds reasonable, theres usually an example that can smash your reasonable ideas to peices. I'm genuinely grateful I don't have to make those kind of decisions.
      I think the whole argument--why should I have the kid, why should I support a kid if I didn't want to refrain from aborting it--is a symptom of our infatuation with individual rights being carried just a smidge too far. I mean, yeah, she's pregnant when she didn't want to be pregnant, and that's bad. But she's also undergoing a perfectly normal, routine function of human biology which has happened several trillion times already, so why are we flapping our hands and talking about it like it's a big cosmic injustice and the whole universe is out to screw her over?

Her individual choice may be very intimate, but it has serious and far-reaching consequences, as evidenced by the widespread problem of sex-selective abortions, or the targeted elimination of Down's Syndrome. Even if you ignore the child's livelihood entirely, which is generally case, mom isn't the only one affected by her decision. It has enormous demographic repercussions on a long-term, aggregate scale.

Of course, you could say the same thing about whether or not to have sex in the first place, etc. But as it happens, almost nobody today decides, over the long term, to not have sex. Some of them are married/in long-term relationships, some are not; I don't know the ratio. I think it's fair to say that our culture tends to glorify no-strings attached sex--which, I'm sure, is fun. But sex is never really no-strings attached, unless you're gay or sterile and you're certain your partner has no VD (and that's assuming no emotional issues). Sex exists for the primary purpose of procreation. That purpose can be thwarted to a very large extent, but nothing can completely stop it. Abortion exists to seal up that little crack. And so we act like it's a BFD when the seal is denied and we can't completely escape responsibility for the choices we make (with the obvious exception of rape, etc., which is a more complex issue).

That, I submit to you, is carrying individuality a little too far. If you're not prepared to accept even the slightest risk of becoming a parent, you shouldn't be having sex, one way or another. And certainly the child should not be the one to suffer for your recklessness. Of course, I'm arguing this from a purely moral and theoretical standpoint. Public policy is likely to prove depressingly intransigent, the more so because people and groups like the RCC can't fathom the separation of church and state.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        True enough, but the second part of my plan is that you can get the antidote provided you pass a very stringent psychological profiling.
        Gonna have Heraclitus back you up on your plan?
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
          I think the whole argument--why should I have the kid, why should I support a kid if I didn't want to refrain from aborting it--is a symptom of our infatuation with individual rights being carried just a smidge too far. I mean, yeah, she's pregnant when she didn't want to be pregnant, and that's bad. But she's also undergoing a perfectly normal, routine function of human biology which has happened several trillion times already, so why are we flapping our hands and talking about it like it's a big cosmic injustice and the whole universe is out to screw her over?

Her individual choice may be very intimate, but it has serious and far-reaching consequences, as evidenced by the widespread problem of sex-selective abortions, or the targeted elimination of Down's Syndrome. Even if you ignore the child's livelihood entirely, which is generally case, mom isn't the only one affected by her decision. It has enormous demographic repercussions on a long-term, aggregate scale.

Of course, you could say the same thing about whether or not to have sex in the first place, etc. But as it happens, almost nobody today decides, over the long term, to not have sex. Some of them are married/in long-term relationships, some are not; I don't know the ratio. I think it's fair to say that our culture tends to glorify no-strings attached sex--which, I'm sure, is fun. But sex is never really no-strings attached, unless you're gay or sterile and you're certain your partner has no VD (and that's assuming no emotional issues). Sex exists for the primary purpose of procreation. That purpose can be thwarted to a very large extent, but nothing can completely stop it. Abortion exists to seal up that little crack. And so we act like it's a BFD when the seal is denied and we can't completely escape responsibility for the choices we make (with the obvious exception of rape, etc., which is a more complex issue).

That, I submit to you, is carrying individuality a little too far. If you're not prepared to accept even the slightest risk of becoming a parent, you shouldn't be having sex, one way or another. And certainly the child should not be the one to suffer for your recklessness. Of course, I'm arguing this from a purely moral and theoretical standpoint. Public policy is likely to prove depressingly intransigent, the more so because people and groups like the RCC can't fathom the separation of church and state.
          Wonderfully said and I don't have a quibble with this. I have recently been struggling as well with the concept that our post-enlightenment Western thought seems to value individuality a little too much and most of all in the US, where individuality is considered paramount. Though my struggles have been not all that much in the social sphere, but more economically speaking. We (I guess I speak for the US as that is what I know) are so quick to call individuality when it applies to capitalism, than even people starving matters not a whit if we are "free" to make money. Of course, this spills over into all sorts of different spheres.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• No surprise that you two would embrace such medieval thinking.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It's actually funny watching you guys try and claim a moral parallel with the civil rights movement and the holocaust when we've already seen what happens when you get your way. Women end up assuming a subservient position in society, millions of women resort to back street abortions, and the pain and misery is endless.

If you think women will ever allow a return to those times, you need to put down the crack pipe.
              There are lots and lots of women who are against abortion. If you take the notion that abortion is murder, then banning it seems completely reasonable. How hard is this to understand?

EVEN IF women were to wind up in a subservient position due to lack of access to abortion, which they wouldn't, banning it would still be a good idea, on the notion that it's murder. This is not hard to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                No surprise that you two would embrace such medieval thinking.
                Should I now accuse you of Randian thought that comes with hyperindividuality (Nietszchian is too complimentary )?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Sure, go for it, you always make assumptions about what other people believe and then attack them for it.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• You're boringly predictable.

Blah blah, I actually criticized a statement that you made blah blah, you attacked me for disagreeing with it.

Basically, your debate style is this:

"He disagrees with me! He's Hitler! Hey everyone! I found Hitler!"

This is why I have no respect for you.
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I'm sure that is how I sound in your mind, but that's not exactly the same thing as reality now is it?

(or is a jocular comparison to Rand just that bad to you?)

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                          There are lots and lots of women who are against abortion. If you take the notion that abortion is murder, then banning it seems completely reasonable. How hard is this to understand?
                          There are many examples of those same women then having abortions themselves on the quiet. Funnily enough people tend to be most against things until they're in that situation themselves.

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                          EVEN IF women were to wind up in a subservient position due to lack of access to abortion, which they wouldn't, banning it would still be a good idea, on the notion that it's murder. This is not hard to understand.
                          Easy for you to say as you'd be one of the dominant gender then. Try running that line of argument past some women and see if you come away with your balls intact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Your entire argument is based on hyperbole. You've placed any act of individuality as an act too far. The end result is to destroy individual choice altogether because they have consequences. There's no nuance here. It's the same as those arguing that all abortions are murder and thus must be stopped by any means necessary.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              I'm sure that is how I sound in your mind, but that's not exactly the same thing as reality now is it?

(or is a jocular comparison to Rand just that bad to you?)
                              Are you denying that you attempted to apply unattributed characteristics to me (those you expressedly portrayed as negative) that are not supported by any statements I've thus made in this thread?

If not, please show your work.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Easy for you to say as you'd be one of the dominant gender then. Try running that line of argument past some women and see if you come away with your balls intact.
                                Tried it, balls secure inside my scrotum, firmly attached to my crotch.
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X