Now this is what I call generosity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now this is what I call generosity.

A La Jolla woman gave away her $6 billion fortune to charity in her will. Damn, that's a lot of zeros.

Late S.D. heiress gave away $6 billion

Margaret A. Cargill was so understated that few knew the billionaire even lived in La Jolla much of her adult life. As an heir of the Midwest agribusiness empire Cargill Corp., she quietly, and anonymously, gave to her favorite causes.
    It wasn’t until the cloak of secrecy was lifted when she died in 2006, at age 85, that many of her beneficiaries even learned her name.
    This week Cargill was identified as No. 1 on the list of America’s top 50 donors in 2011 by The Chronicle of Philanthropy. Her gift? $6 billion.
    Cargill’s complex estate finally had settled, the bulk split nearly equally between the Anne Ray Charitable Trust (named after her mother) and the Margaret A. Cargill Foundation.
    Her bequests provide ongoing support to causes she had identified years ago: the environment, disasters, arts and culture, animal welfare, elderly care, children and health. Among specific charities: American Red Cross International Services, PBS, Nature Conservancy and YMCA of the USA.
    The $6 billion won’t directly benefit Cargill’s favorite local charities, said foundation spokeswoman Sallie Gaines. Cargill, who never married, had created a separate foundation focused on Southern California. The local Salvation Army, St. Paul’s Senior Homes and the S.D. Humane Society were among her pet programs. While she mingled at receptions, she always kept her involvement a secret, even attending incognito the 2003 opening of the newly remodeled Humane Society, to which she gave $6.2 million.
    Cargill was joined on the 2011 “Philanthropy 50” list by fellow La Jollans Irwin and Joan Jacobs, ranked No. 22, and Conrad T. Prebys, of Point Loma, No. 24.
    The Jacobs’ $64.9 million in donations included $40 million to their S.D. Jewish Community Foundation fund and $15 million to the S.D. Public Library Foundation. Prebys’ 2011 total was $63.1 million, including $45 million to Scripps Health for a new cardiovascular institute and $15 million to the S.D. Zoological Society.
    Super heroes: Two Camp Pendleton Marines were at the Super Bowl, thanks to the publisher of SmartSource Magazine. Sgt. Sheena Adams, who has received two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, and Master Sgt. David Jarvis, a Bronze and Silver Star recipient, were selected for the trip by the Marine Corps Sgt. Major Micheal Barrett from more than 130,000 active-duty enlisted Marines.
    High hopes: A rally at the Mount Soledad cross at 11 a.m. Thursday will mark the filing of an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court by the Liberty Institute to save the 58-year-old memorial. Texas musician Jon Christopher Davis will sing his rally theme song: “Don’t Tear Me Down.”
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I'd suggest it's quite easy to be generous when you're dead.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

SD = San Diego
      When I first read it, I thought they were talking about South Dakota. That would be about $10,000 per person.

Then I read
      included $40 million to their S.D. Jewish Community Foundation fund
      Wow. Those two families would have done really well!
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Believe it or not there is a decent sized Jewish population especially in La Jolla (where this lady used to live) and in Rancho Santa Fe. About a mile from my house they opened up a huge new Jewish religious school (Chabad Hebrew Academy) about five years ago. It's basically the Jewish equivalent to Catholic school which allows Jewish couples to send their kids (K-12) to a school which is based on Jewish teachings. Personally, I'd rather have my kids in a public school than a religious school.

You're right about there not being very many Jews in South Dakota though.
        Last edited by Dinner; February 7, 2012, 20:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
          I'd suggest it's quite easy to be generous when you're dead.
          I was thinking the same thing. Course when she was alive she made a good chunk of her money from ethanol subsidies. Wont someone please think of the starving third world children.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

They have to be dead before you can make them into ethanol.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Soylint grain.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I would love to have been a fly in the wall when her descendants heard the news.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, that would have been good. The article says she never married though so it probably would have gone to neices or nephews or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    I would love to have been a fly in the wall when her descendants heard the news.
                    No you wouldn't - it would hurt extremely.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Some of the family members include:

Cargill MacMillan, Jr., had an estimated net worth of $4.3 billion. He was born in Hennepin County, Minnesota 29 March 1927. He was married with four children. MacMillan died on November 14, 2011.[4][5]
                      Whitney MacMillan has an estimated net worth of $4.3 billion and led the company from 1976 to 1995.[6]
                      Marion MacMillan Pictet, has an estimated net worth of $4.3 billion.[6]
                      Pauline MacMillan Keinath, has an estimated net worth of $4.3 billion. She was born 31 July 1934 in Hennepin County, Minnesota.[6]
                      James R. Cargill, II, has an estimated net worth of $1.6 billion. His hometown is Birchwood, Wisconsin.[7]
                      Mary Janet Morse Cargill, has an estimated net worth of $1.6 billion. She lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Her hometown is Minneapolis, Minnesota. She is widowed, and has three children.[8]
                      Marianne Cargill Liebmann, has an estimated net worth of $1.6 billion. She studied at Montana State University, where she received a Bachelor of Arts.[9]
                      Austen S. Cargill, II, has an estimated net worth of $1.7 billion. He is married with two children. He attended Oregon State University and University of Minnesota. He lives in Livingston, Montana.[10]
                      Margaret Anne Cargill (September 24, 1920 - August 1, 2006), was a philanthropist.
                      Somehow I doubt that it would have been that big a deal.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

In my experience rich people take these things even harder.

They'll put 10,000 people out of work if they can raise the company share price a buck and make a neat profit. They never seem to have have quite enough money.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X