Getting young guys on the straight and narrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting young guys on the straight and narrow

Despite my efforts of education, the teenagers I have known have continued to slip into a life of stupidity with imprisonment and/or children from multiple mothers. Take my room-mate's little brother who is on his second child at 19, did earn his GED in prison, talks about going to community college, but continues to sell weed and has this stupid attitude of wanting to pull out a gun on people who hurt his pride. I keep trying to set an example for him but all it takes is the wrong place in the wrong time and he'll be in ****. Some of his friends are already serving lengthy sentences for murder.

Then there's his father's girlfriend's sons. One (19) is currently wanted for murder. I don't know where he went wrong. I hadn't seen him since late 2009 but his recent activities had shocked me because he had never seemed like a trouble-maker. He apparently started dealing and hanging with the wrong people so he and a guy a few years older than him are now wanted for murder. He's screwed but I'm trying to help his 14 year old brother who just got out of juvenile after stealing a car but the stupid school system is taking its time getting his butt back in the classroom after his release. I want to make sure he doesn't wind up like his brother. Like my room-mate's brother, he is quick to anger as well.

I dealt with anger when I was their ages but I never lost sight of the importance of education and living a straight life. What can I do to emphasize that they need to understand the importance of moral living, safe sex, avoiding the wrong people, understanding that violence is never the answer, and education?

Thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Have them post on this site to see what a good education and high moral standards can do.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
      Have them post on this site to see what a good education and high moral standards can do.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I don't think you can change their intelligence level or their preferences. Are they Christians? Maybe you can convince them they'll go to hell if they murder someone. Maybe they would take you more seriously if you were more successful since all you've done so far is get a college degree and stay out of trouble, without a whole lot to show for it aside from not being someone's ***** inside a prison cell. hey, maybe you can scare them with stories of rape.

Comment

The answer is biofuel. Or soylent green.
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Al

I am glad that you have a degree and have stayed out of trouble. I admire that you did that. But now is time for the next step.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Also, Al, if you have a straight and narrow one, the girls won't like it. They like them thick and curved. Is that why you want to get guys on it now?
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                What can I do to emphasize that ... violence is never the answer?
                Join the marines, of course.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

What can I do to emphasize that they need to understand the importance of moral living, safe sex, avoiding the wrong people, understanding that violence is never the answer, and education?
                  Nothing with any instantaneous results, really. You have to play a "long game". Show them love and kindness and once in a while offer some friendly advice. If you go in guns blazing, they'll know to ignore you.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

typical that this thread would get mocked. I should have known. No one here has a social worker background.
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

typical that this thread would get mocked. I should have known. No one here has a social worker background.
                      Imran tried to give you a serious answer. So did Jon Miller.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

...safe sex, avoiding the wrong people...
                          Least you have one of those going for you.
                          "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Start a troubled youths counseling organization called "The Second Mile".
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Al
                              You kids should be like me - virginal and unemployed. (But educated, dammit!)
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X