Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Think of This British Accent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
    I'm impressed how it's the non-Brits who are all confidently proclaiming that it doesn't sound English at all.
    True. The actual Brits still have issues with it, but aren't quite as bold about it. Though the Aussies are just as confident about it, and can't we lump Aussies in with the Brits? You guys are all pretty much the same.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
      ... and can't we lump Aussies in with the Brits? You guys are all pretty much the same.
      Two or three generations ago that would have been true, but I reckon these days Australia is more culturally similar to the US than the UK. Mind you, we're way more similar to NZ and Canada than the US.

Comment

Oh, I have no idea about culturally. Just accents. I had a guy from Sidney stay with me for a week or two and he sounded just like he was English. He said the Sidney accents are pretty much the same as like London, while the more rural/redneck accents are what we Americans associate with Crocodile Dundee.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Do all Brits pronounce the A bowel y dAy or awAy different that Americans or only some particular accent.
          I need a foot massage

Comment

My idea of Australian accent is that song from the 80s "I come from a land down under" which may be totally wrong
            I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
              My idea of Australian accent is that song from the 80s "I come from a land down under" which may be totally wrong
              Colin Hay is actually originally a Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                No. It doesn't sound English at all. For one, I can actually understand what he's saying..
                How are these mutually exclusive ?

I'm sure there are plenty of things that professors of semiotics who are homegrown Yankee Doodles could say that would be perfectly unintelligible to you.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Oh, I have no idea about culturally. Just accents. I had a guy from Sidney stay with me for a week or two and he sounded just like he was English. He said the Sidney accents are pretty much the same as like London, while the more rural/redneck accents are what we Americans associate with Crocodile Dundee.
                  I assure you this is a jolly jape.

Firstly there are several 'London' accents, secondly, Sydneysiders sound nothing like Londoners.

And yes, there are distinguishing features in modern Australian (like the words for a pint of beer or the glass it comes in), and yes (just like the U.S.) some more rural accents are quite pronounced.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Nah. Londoners don't sound like Sydneysiders.

Nah. Crocodile Dundee is more city boy than country boy.

Nah.

Comment

Working...
                    X