Ancient Egypt closer to us than you'd think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Egypt closer to us than you'd think

In a rare find, Egyptian and Swiss archaeologists have unearthed a roughly 1,100 year-old tomb of a female singer in the Valley of the Kings, an antiquities official said Sunday.

It is the only tomb of a woman not related to the ancient Egyptian royal families ever found in the Valley of the Kings, said Mansour Boraiq, the top government official for the Antiquities’ Ministry in the city of Luxor
    900AD? Interesting.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Lady Gaga knows how she wants to be buried now.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I have all her albums...

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
        Lady Gaga knows how she wants to be buried now.
        I keep seeing them refer to this as "Ancient Egypt's Lady Gaga"

Really, science/history journalism blows ass. People should be ashamed of themselves. This 1,100 year old thing is in every media.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

From the comments:

Ok, I just have to let the viewers of this ridiculous article understand that no, they are not having a slow moment, the article just does not make sense. The years they give just don't make sense, so here is the shorter and CORRECT article given by ABC online (Australia):

Archaeologists have discovered the tomb of a female singer dating back almost 3,000 years in Egypt's Valley of the Kings, antiquities minister Mohammed Ibrahim said on Sunday.

The rare find was made accidentally by a team from Switzerland's Basel University in Karnak, near Luxor in Upper Egypt, the minister told the media in Cairo.

The woman, Nehmes Bastet, was a singer for the supreme deity Amon Ra during the Twenty-Second Dynasty (945-712 BC), according to an inscription on a wooden plaque found in her tomb.

She was the daughter of the high priest of Amon, Mr Ibrahim said.

The discovery is important because "it shows that the Valley of the Kings was also used for the burial of ordinary individuals and priests of the Twenty-Second Dynasty," he added.

Until now the only tombs found in the historic valley were those linked to ancient Egyptian royal families.
          Someone used AD instead of BC when doing the math...

Comment

Strangely enough it doesn't seem like Egypt saw any need for "rappers".

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              I keep seeing them refer to this as "Ancient Egypt's Lady Gaga"

Really, science/history journalism blows ass. People should be ashamed of themselves. This 1,100 year old thing is in every media.
              I haven't seen any news articles referring to this as a "Lady Gaga" but I did find this one that said that it's actually a 3000-year-old mummy:
              The woman, Nehmes Bastet, was a temple singer during Egypt's 22nd Dynasty (approximately 945 - 712BC), according to an inscription in the tomb.
              Archaeologists in Egypt find the tomb of a woman singer in the Valley of the Kings, dating back almost 3,000 years.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                I haven't seen any news articles referring to this as a "Lady Gaga" but I did find this one that said that it's actually a 3000-year-old mummy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16576265
                Your googling blows:

Headline:
                3,000-YEAR OLD EGYPTIAN 'LADY GAGA' TOMB FOUND
                Swiss archaeologists have discovered the tomb of a female singer -- who may have been the "Lady Gaga" of her time -- dating back almost 3,000 years in Egypt's Valley of the Kings.

Comment

double

Comment

Not familiar with "Discovery News" but it seems to be the website of the same people who brought us "Shark Week".

Front page: Forget Space Beer, Order Meteorite Wine Instead

Comment

I ill can't see any need for "rappers", strangely enough.

Comment

False. Wrappers were essential to ancient Egypt. How else could they make so many mummies?
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                          False. Wrappers were essential to ancient Egypt. How else could they make so many mummies?
                          Better chance of making a mummie if you stay 'unwrapped'.
                          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

But what type of toes did she have?
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                              But what type of toes did she have?
                              Egyptian?

Comment

Working...
                              X