Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

I am in Birmingham because injustice is here. Just as the eighth century prophets left their little villages and carried their "thus saith the Lord" far beyond the boundaries of their home towns; and just as the Apostle Paul left his little village of Tarsus and carried the gospel of Jesus Christ to practically every hamlet and city of the Graeco-Roman world, I too am compelled to carry the gospel of freedom beyond my particular home town. Like Paul, I must constantly respond to the Macedonian call for aid.

We have waited for more than three hundred and forty years for our constitutional and God-given rights.

A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. To put it in the terms of Saint Thomas Aquinas, an unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal and natural law.

Of course, there is nothing new about this kind of civil disobedience. It was seen sublimely in the refusal of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego to obey the laws of Nebuchadnezzar because a higher moral law was involved. It was practiced superbly by the early Christians who were willing to face hungry lions and the excruciating pain of chopping blocks, before submitting to certain unjust laws of the Roman empire.

I'm grateful to God that, through the Negro church, the dimension of nonviolence entered our struggle.

Was not Jesus an extremist for love -- "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, pray for them that despitefully use you." Was not Amos an extremist for justice -- "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream." Was not Paul an extremist for the gospel of Jesus Christ -- "I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." Was not Martin Luther an extremist -- "Here I stand; I can do none other so help me God." Was not John Bunyan an extremist -- "I will stay in jail to the end of my days before I make a butchery of my conscience." Was not Abraham Lincoln an extremist -- "This nation cannot survive half slave and half free." Was not Thomas Jefferson an extremist -- "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." So the question is not whether we will be extremist but what kind of extremist will we be. Will we be extremists for hate or will we be extremists for love? Will we be extremists for the preservation of injustice--or will we be extremists for the cause of justice? In that dramatic scene on Calvary's hill, three men were crucified. We must not forget that all three were crucified for the same crime--the crime of extremism. Two were extremists for immorality, and thusly fell below their environment. The other, Jesus Christ, was an extremist for love, truth and goodness, and thereby rose above his environment.

There was a time when the church was very powerful. It was during that period when the early Christians rejoiced when they were deemed worthy to suffer for what they believed. In those days the church was not merely a thermometer that recorded the ideas and principles of popular opinion; it was a thermostat that transformed the mores of society. Whenever the early Christians entered a town the power structure got disturbed and immediately sought to convict them for being "disturbers of the peace" and "outside agitators." But they went on with the conviction that they were "a colony of heaven," and had to obey God rather than man. They were small in number but big in commitment. They were too God-intoxicated to be "astronomically intimidated." They brought an end to such ancient evils as infanticide and gladiatorial contest.

We will win our freedom because the sacred heritage of our nation and the eternal will of God are embodied in our echoing demands.

One day the South will know that when these disinherited children of God sat down at lunch counters they were in reality standing up for the best in the American dream and the most sacred values in our Judaeo-Christian heritage, and thusly, carrying our whole nation back to those great wells of democracy which were dug deep by the founding fathers in the formulation of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr. "Letter from Birmingham Jail"

I still believe that one day mankind will bow before the altars of God and be crowned triumphant over war and bloodshed, and nonviolent redemptive goodwill will proclaim the rule of the land.

Most of these people will never make the headlines and their names will not appear in Who's Who. Yet when years have rolled past and when the blazing light of truth is focused on this marvelous age in which we live -- men and women will know and children will be taught that we have a finer land, a better people, a more noble civilization -- because these humble children of God were willing to suffer for righteousness' sake.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr., Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech

I'd like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King Jr. tried to give his life serving others. I'd like for somebody to say that day that Martin Luther King Jr. tried to love somebody.

I want you to say that day that I tried to be right on the war question. I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry. I want you to be able to say that day that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked. I want you to say on that day that I did try in my life to visit those who were in prison. And I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity.

Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major. Say that I was a drum major for justice. Say that I was a drum major for peace. I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

We are able to say all these things, Martin. May you be smiling right now at all you have accomplished, but knowing we still have a ways to go.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

This isn't going to make anyone forget your slavery apologia in the Alamo thread.

Comment

I did like visiting the MLK memorial in Atlanta. It's a great memorial & museum.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The new MLK memorial in DC is ****ing terrible, though.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I'm not celebrating.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            The new MLK memorial in DC is ****ing terrible, though.
            Don't be racist.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The memorial is actually kind of racist, thanks to its overuse of white stone.

Comment

The statue is the way it is to include Asian in King's Dream as well. The white represents geisha.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                  The statue is the way it is to include Asian in King's Dream as well. The white represents geisha.
                  I hear the Chinese artist did the statue in a neo-Maoist style. What a load of **** and proof you get what you pay for. WTF did they go with a low cost Chinese artist anyway?
                  Last edited by Dinner; January 17, 2012, 01:34.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Because of the economy.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I remember when he sang with Dino & Frank. Who can make the sun rise? The Candy man can.
                      RIP
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

An interesting connection between the civil rights movement of 50s and 60s with civil rights movement of today:

Gay Rights = Civil Rights: Remembering Bayard Rustin
                        I heard this story on "In the Life" maybe 10 years ago. Then, it was placed right back on a hanger and put back in the closet. It couldn't have resurfaced at a more significant time. For as far as we've come, we do still have work to do. More importantly, it's crucial, in this day of rampant LGBT teen suicides, for the young people to understand that they truly ARE part of the fabric of this world, that their contributions have the potential of being significant.

Bayard Rustin is a name to remember. (even though I'd forgotten the name for the past 10 years, I always remembered the story) For as much as Dr. Martin Luther King was the face of the 60s civil rights movement, Bayard Rustin was the architect who made it all come together...and, work. It was Dr. King's vehicle, but it was Bayard Rustin's well-designed road it traveled on its way to prominence.

Stories of Rustin's homosexuality began to surface in 1960 forcing King and the Civil Rights movement to part ways with him. To their thinking, exposure would certainly derail their uber-important efforts. Unfortunately, they were probably right. But, by 1963, Rustin had resurfaced with the Civil Rights movement, albeit more behind the scene, and went on to architect what we now know as the 1963 Freedom March on Washington which gave birth to the timeless "I Have A Dream" speech by Dr. King.

Why is this important? Well, for one, I believe that it is crucial for young LGBT teens to understand that we DO have a voice, that we ARE important, and that their own lives ARE definitely worth living. Seeing the accomplishments of Bayard Rustin, and the universal importance of his efforts should inspire anyone, especially a confused and questioning LGBT teen. Without Bayard Rustin, Dr. King's rise to legendary leader of peace may have never happened.

Of equal importance to me at least, as an older black and gay man, is the realization that the Civil Rights movement of yesterday and the Gay Rights movement of today are one and the same. Intertwined. I recently read a comment saying, basically, that the black community had taken issue with people linking the two together. Quickly, I responded. Paraphrased, I told them that they are absolutely the same fight. More to the point, it's the same fight against the same establishment. What this means is that, for all of our gains we've experienced over the past decade (and, certainly, over the past 18-24 months), we still have a ton of work to do. The battle is not won. Not yet. Then again, neither is the one for racial equality, proving that we must continue to press forward and fight those who would delight in seeing us all locked back in the closet. That way, they can go back to pretending that we don't exist.

I guess the message here is that we all, whether we're straight, LGBT, black, white, green, or Venusian, have a voice and a contribution to make to the well-being of our society. Bayard Rustin's contributions will resonate forever.
                        http://ronkemp.blogspot.com/2012/01/...membering.html
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Er, no, they're not the same. There are parallels, of course, but that doesn't mean you can say they're "the same," and I can understand why some black people would be upset that gay people are taking the memory of what they went through and retooling it for their own PR without acknowledging the differences.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                            An interesting connection between the civil rights movement of 50s and 60s with civil rights movement of today:
                            There is only one civil rights movement today. It is the movement to restore to potheads the right to hold honest jobs, to live peaceably without threat of prosecution, and to raise their children free of government propaganda and lies. Gays face none of these problems, and I'm getting sick of your *****ing.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

A local store was holding a White Sale yesterday.

WTF were they thinking?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X