Life in Canada ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in Canada ?

I am seriously entertaining the possibility of emigrating to Canada. (e.g. Rio Tinto (through Iron Ore of Canada) have very interesting job openings, but there seem to be a lot of other options as well)

It is still very early in the decision process and I haven't collected a lot of background information by myself yet. I am going to schedule an appointment with the Canadian embassy/consulate in the coming weeks so I know a bit more about the practicalities of taking the big step.

However, since I value personal experiences far more than official documentation I would like to ask some questions: what would ideally be the nicest places to live with a young family? Since I am regular scuba diver, a location not too far from some open water would be great but it is not a must.

The biggest dilemma is my daughter (3,5 years old). Do any of you have experience with moving young kids away from their family ? What kind of impact did it have on them ? This is quite frankly the thing that worries me most.
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

If you're interested in aquatic recreation, then I thoroughly recommend British Columbia.

It has a climate similar to the U.K. (less snow), is culturally diverse, has astonishing scenery and great food.

I even know a school teacher there, in Vancouver...

Official site of the City of Vancouver in beautiful British Columbia, Canada. Access City services, sign up for recreation programs, and learn about City projects.

Vancouver Island is also a great place to visit and you can go whale watching from here:

Telegraph Cove is tucked away on the eastern coast of Northern Vancouver Island. This tiny and picturesque village is a major destination during the summer months when the snug little bay bustles with whale watchers, fishermen, boaters, campers and kayakers. Telegraph Cove Resort has a rich and colourful past and is one of the last boardwalk […]

I did, and it's a tremendous experience.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
      If you're interested in aquatic recreation, then I thoroughly recommend British Columbia.

It has a climate similar to the U.K. (less snow), is culturally diverse, has astonishing scenery and great food.

I even know a school teacher there, in Vancouver...

Official site of the City of Vancouver in beautiful British Columbia, Canada. Access City services, sign up for recreation programs, and learn about City projects.

Vancouver Island is also a great place to visit and you can go whale watching from here:

Telegraph Cove is tucked away on the eastern coast of Northern Vancouver Island. This tiny and picturesque village is a major destination during the summer months when the snug little bay bustles with whale watchers, fishermen, boaters, campers and kayakers. Telegraph Cove Resort has a rich and colourful past and is one of the last boardwalk […]

I did, and it's a tremendous experience.
      Yes, I spent 3 months during my PhD in Vancouver back in 2003. Unfortunately (for me then) there isn't a lot of heavy industry around limiting my job finding potential. Anyway it is high on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
        Yes, I spent 3 months during my PhD in Vancouver back in 2003. Unfortunately (for me then) there isn't a lot of heavy industry around limiting my job finding potential. Anyway it is high on the list.
        How good is your daughter at English? One of the things you have to be very careful about is placing her in a school environment where she has additional burdens placed on her at that age. OTOH, I suppose it is Canada, so how much do they use french in BC?
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

We are from the Dutch speaking part of Belgium. French is the second language. English is basiclly poured in through popular culture (music + TV are not dubbed here) so both my wife and myself are fluent in English. However, right now my daughter is dutch speaking.

Comment

Would you be limited by profession? You can live in Quebec if you work in oil but your commute would be a *****.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I am seriously entertaining the possibility of emigrating to Canada. (e.g. Rio Tinto (through Iron Ore of Canada) have very interesting job openings, but there seem to be a lot of other options as well)
              Our Canadian operations:

Rio Tinto Alcan, headquartered in Montreal, is the aluminium product group of Rio Tinto and the global leader in the aluminium industry.
              Diavik Diamond Mines (DDMI) owns Rio Tinto's interest in and manages the unincorporated Diavik diamonds joint venture in the Northwest Territories.
              Managed by Rio Tinto's Iron Ore Group, the Iron Ore Company of Canada joint venture is Canada's largest iron ore pellet producer.
              Rio Tinto Fer et Titane operates a mine and a smelter to process ilmenite, a titanium and iron bearing ore, in Quebec.

IOC is the largest manufacturer of iron ore pellets in Canada and its customer base covers North American, European and Asian steel producers. The Company operates a mine, concentrator and a pelletizing plant in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as port facilities located in Sept-Iles (Quebec). It also operates a 418 kilometer railroad that links the mine to the port. IOC has about 1700 employees and its major shareholder and operator is the international mining group Rio Tinto which has activities in more than 40 countries throughout the world.

IOC’s major shareholder and operator is Rio Tinto, the world’s third largest mining company.

Sounds like Quebec.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

We are from the Dutch speaking part of Belgium. French is the second language. English is basiclly poured in through popular culture (music + TV are not dubbed here) so both my wife and myself are fluent in English. However, right now my daughter is dutch speaking.
                Three year olds can pick up language very easily. In fact, if you move here she'll probably learn English in less than a year and forget she ever knew Dutch unless you and your wife keep speaking it to her in your home.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You should move to Australia instead. It has a well-developed mining industry, warm weather and superb diving opportunities.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                    You should move to Australia instead. It has a well-developed mining industry, warm weather and superb diving opportunities.
                    I agree.

And this speaking as a person who is more likely to move to Canada than to Australia should I feel the need to leave the UK.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                      Our Canadian operations:

Rio Tinto Alcan, headquartered in Montreal, is the aluminium product group of Rio Tinto and the global leader in the aluminium industry.
                      Diavik Diamond Mines (DDMI) owns Rio Tinto's interest in and manages the unincorporated Diavik diamonds joint venture in the Northwest Territories.
                      Managed by Rio Tinto's Iron Ore Group, the Iron Ore Company of Canada joint venture is Canada's largest iron ore pellet producer.
                      Rio Tinto Fer et Titane operates a mine and a smelter to process ilmenite, a titanium and iron bearing ore, in Quebec.

IOC is the largest manufacturer of iron ore pellets in Canada and its customer base covers North American, European and Asian steel producers. The Company operates a mine, concentrator and a pelletizing plant in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as port facilities located in Sept-Iles (Quebec). It also operates a 418 kilometer railroad that links the mine to the port. IOC has about 1700 employees and its major shareholder and operator is the international mining group Rio Tinto which has activities in more than 40 countries throughout the world.

IOC’s major shareholder and operator is Rio Tinto, the world’s third largest mining company.

Sounds like Quebec.
                      Yes, the Rio Tinto opportunities are. I still need to do a full sweep to see what my other options are if I don't want to go to Québec. (Still open)

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                        I am a Nordic type so warm weather is not my preferred environment. Strange, I know but it is what it is.

I also am a sucker for family and going home from Canada is still cheaper than flying all the way from Australia. It would make the difference between 2 times a year and once every 2 years. So I guess that is my limitation for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          Three year olds can pick up language very easily. In fact, if you move here she'll probably learn English in less than a year and forget she ever knew Dutch unless you and your wife keep speaking it to her in your home.
                          That would certainly be the plan.

Comment

Also, Australia has entirely too many poisonous animals.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Ah, leaving the sinking ship are we?
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                              X