No announcement yet.

The 2012 Off Topic Celebrity Dead Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I presume you would like some points for that?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Russell Means was 72 and a unique pick for ColdWizard (8).

= (171 - 8) + (100 - 72) + 25

= 216 points

The lead widens...
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• 7 hits and 1409 points is a new Dead Pool record.

Still two months to go.

Comment

• CW, you are aware of the prohibition against hastening the death of selections, right?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Two people selected George McGovern; don't they get points?

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
              CW, you are aware of the prohibition against hastening the death of selections, right?
              There's no one on my list worth anything like that much effort... especially since I haven't yet figured out how to strangle someone through the internet.
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                Two people selected George McGovern; don't they get points?
                Do you think they should?

Sorry guys but as I've mentioned before - Since the Dead Pool has become the go-to place for obits (chosen celebs or not) it would be really helpful if you point out when a claim is being made. I can't remember every pick and don't want to keep checking every time an obit is posted. Molly could keep me going all weekend...

I'll update the McGovern picks a little later. Thanks Reg.

Comment

• Point out when a claim is made. Interesting concept... I suppose I can try to remember that. No promises though.
                  Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• My bad for not mentioning the McGovern hits. Sorry, Wezil.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• In the grand scheme of things - no biggie.

Points have to wait until after I catch up on Sunday night TV though.

Comment

• Sounds like Reg is volunteering to run this next year...
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• George McGovern was 90 and a pick of two players:

-Jrabbit (16) = (171 - 16) + (100 - 90) = 165 points
                          Hauldren Collider (16) = 165 points

Comment

• Legendary boxing trainer Emanuel Steward gone on...

Famed boxing trainer Emanuel Steward, who was in the corner of champions such as Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, Oscar De La Hoya and Wladimir Klitschko, died Thursday in a Chicago hospital, his executive assistant said.

Steward passed away at 1:46 p.m. CT (2:46 p.m. ET), said Victoria Kirton, who did not provide any further details. He was 68.

A national Golden Gloves champion himself in 1963 at 18, Steward hung up his boxing gloves soon thereafter and took a job at Detroit Edison Company, according to his official bio from HBO, for which he was a commentator.

But he returned to the sport as a Detroit-based trainer in 1971, and he went on to work with some of the biggest names in the business. His pupils - among them more than two dozen champions, by HBO's count - include Sugar Ray Leonard, Julio Cesar Chavez, Leon Spinks, Evander Holyfield and Klitschko, the current WBA, WBO and IBF champion.

"It is not often that a person in any line of work gets a chance to work with a legend," the Ukrainian boxer said on his website. "Well I was privileged enough to work with one for almost a decade.

"I will miss our time together - the long talks about boxing, the world and life itself. Most of all, I will miss our friendship."

He continued working with boxers into his 60s, while also weighing in on big fights for HBO Sports. (HBO is a division of Time Warner, as is CNN.)

Ken Hershman, the president of HBO Sports, lauded Steward as "respected colleague who taught us so much not only about the sweet science but also about friendship and loyalty."

"His energy, enthusiasm and bright smile were a constant presence," Hershman said. " Ten bells do not seem enough to mourn his passing."
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post

Molly could keep me going all weekend...
                              You're not the first man to say that you know.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• When did this turn into a BS contest?

Comment

Working...
                                X