No announcement yet.

The 2012 Off Topic Celebrity Dead Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age has really nothing to do with it. One would think it would to a degree, but not really. Amy Winehouse wasn't very old, but the Gabor skank is as old as the hills.
    Go figure.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I swear Zsa Zsa will be cryopreserved just to **** with us.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
        I swear Zsa Zsa will be cryopreserved just to **** with us.
        This just in -
        http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...162118195.html
        LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband will serve as her temporary conservator under an agreement reached with the ailing actress' daughter and approved by a judge Wednesday.

Attorneys announced a settlement between Frederic von Anhalt, Gabor's husband of 25 years, and her daughter Constance Francesca Hilton during a hearing. Superior Court Judge Reva Goetz approved the provisions, which call for financial oversight by several attorneys and allow Hilton to visit with her mother weekly.

Von Anhalt will continue to make medical decision about his wife's care. He smiled after his appointment and outside the courthouse declared "Victory!" and said he was happy with the outcome.

Hilton said she came to court, "to protect my mother and me."

Gabor's husband and daughter have argued for years as each has accused the other of financial mismanagement related to Gabor's wealth. Hilton asked to be named her mother's conservator in March and said she was concerned the actress wasn't being properly treated.

A doctor who evaluated the star a few weeks later determined that Gabor's well-being is closely tied to her remaining in a familiar environment.

Goetz said that a conservatorship was necessary for Gabor and set a January 9 hearing for an update on the how the agreement was working.

Hilton's attorney Kenneth Kossoff said he is cautiously optimistic the arrangement will work, and he will now receive monthly statements on Gabor's finances and will be able to review her medical files.

Gabor, a Hungarian-born sexpot of the 1950s and 1960s, has been in declining health and didn't make an appearance at a February birthday party hosted at her mansion.

___

Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• DIE! Would you please just die!

It's not me being rude, it's her.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Marvin Traub died -
            Marvin Traub, the man responsible for turning Bloomingdale’s into a must-shop destination, passed away yesterday at the age of 87 from bladder cancer, the New York Times is reporting.

Traub, a war veteran and Harvard grad, began his tenure at Bloomingdale’s in 1950, working his way up from the bottom of the chain (manning the bargain basement) all the way to CEO.

As CEO of the department store, Traub was known for his innovative and creative methods: Staging lavish celebrity-filled events, and introducing some of the leading designers of the time (he gave Ralph Lauren his first big break). It was also during his time as CEO, that Bloomingdale’s introduced their iconic shopping bags. He retired as CEO from the company in 1991, going on to found Marvin Traub Associates, a consulting firm which counts Ralph Lauren, American Express and the Jones Apparel Group as clients.

And while the retail giant has passed away, the legacy of Traub’s life and work will continue to shape Bloomingdale’s, and retail as we know it, for years to come.
            http://fashionista.com/2012/07/marvi...es-dies-at-87/
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Marion Cunningham died yesterday -

Reuters
              US food writer Marion Cunningham dies, age 90

LOS ANGELES – Award-winning cookbook writer Marion Cunningham, an advocate of home cooking who also hosted a US television series, has died in California after suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. She was 90.

Cunningham died on Wednesday morning at the John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, California, outside of San Francisco. She suffered from the debilitating effects of Alzheimer’s and had been living at an assisted-care facility.

Her friend and restaurant consultant Clark Wolf confirmed her death. “She’s the one who made cooking at home honorable,”Wolf told Reuters. “She was also this kind of extra mother to a lot of people who have become top chefs and food experts.”

Cunningham was born Marion Enwright on February 1922 in Los Angeles and married Robert Cunningham, an attorney in Walnut Creek. For much of her life, she struggled with agoraphobia, an anxiety disorder dealing with the fear of open spaces and public places.

But later in life she began attending cooking classes given by renowned chef and food writer James Beard, who died in 1985. In cooking, she found a hobby that would become her hallmark.

Cunningham began writing cookbooks at age 57 when asked to revise a version of “Boston Cooking-School Cookbook” that was first published in 1896 by Fannie Merritt Farmer. The result was Cunningham’s 1979 edition of “The Fannie Farmer Cookbook,” which was reissued again in 1990.

She went on to author more books with titles such as “The Breakfast Book,” and “Cooking with Children,” that highlighted her specialty in creating meals at home.

Cunningham also penned articles in magazines such as Bon Appetit and Food & Wine and for a time hosted her own TV series,”Cunningham & Company,” on the Food Network.

In 1993, she received the Grand Dame award from Les Dames d’Escoffier and one year later was named Scholar-in-Residence by the International Association of Culinary Professionals.

Comment

• Oscar winner Celeste Holm died.
                NEW YORK, N.Y. - Celeste Holm, a versatile, bright-eyed blonde who soared to Broadway fame in "Oklahoma!" and won an Oscar in "Gentleman's Agreement" but whose last years were filled with financial difficulty and estrangement from her sons, died Sunday, a relative said. She was 95.

Holm had been hospitalized about two weeks ago with dehydration. She asked her husband on Friday to bring her home and spent her final days with her husband, Frank Basile, and other relatives and close friends by her side, said Amy Phillips, a great-niece of Holm's who answered the phone at Holm's apartment on Sunday.

Holm died around 3:30 a.m. at her longtime apartment on Central Park West, located in the same building where Robert De Niro lives and where a fire broke out last month, Phillips said.

"I think she wanted to be here, in her home, among her things, with people who loved her," she said.

In a career that spanned more than half a century, Holm played everyone from Ado Annie — the girl who just can't say no in "Oklahoma!"— to a worldly theatrical agent in the 1991 comedy "I Hate Hamlet" to guest star turns on TV shows such as "Fantasy Island" and "Love Boat II" to Bette Davis' best friend in "All About Eve."

She won the Academy Award in 1947 for best supporting actress for her performance in "Gentlemen's Agreement" and received Oscar nominations for "Come to the Stable" (1949) and "All About Eve" (1950).

Comment

• My first thought on reading the name Marion Cunningham was the Mom from Happy Days, but I think I am thinking of the stage name not the actress

/me
                  "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Marion Ross played Marion Cunningham on 'Happy Days'. She is still alive and acting. (I admit the name caused me to read the entire obit - I knew it from somewhere...)

Comment

• edit: nevermind... I am slow and I can see that I just broke into all time top 10
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Kitty Wells, country music star, dies at 92 - 18 hours ago
                        NASHVILLE (Reuters) - Kitty Wells, the "Queen of Country Music," died this morning at her home in Nashville surrounded by family members, of complications from a stroke. She was 92.

Deep Purple keyboard player Jon Lord, dies aged 71
                        LONDON (Reuters) - Jon Lord, keyboardist and co-founder of British rock group Deep Purple, has died in a London hospital aged 71, his official website said on Monday. "It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Jon Lord, who suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism today, Monday 16 July at the London Clinic, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.

Comment

• Tom Davis, Comedian and ‘SNL’ Sketch Writer, Dies at 59

In 2004, contestants on “Jeopardy!” were stumped by the clue “He was the comedy partner of Al Franken.”

Tom Davis, that comedy partner, sighed as he watched. He was so inured to playing second fiddle to Mr. Franken, now a Democratic senator from Minnesota, that he called himself Sonny to Mr. Franken’s Cher.

But the fact is that Mr. Davis helped shape Mr. Franken’s comedy, and vice versa, from the time they entertained students with rebellious, razor-edged humor at high school assemblies in Minnesota.

In 1975, Mr. Davis, brilliant at improvisational comedy, and Mr. Franken, a whiz at plotting funny sequences, became two of the first writers on a new show called “Saturday Night Live,” which has lasted 37 years. (The two should actually be called one of the show’s first writers: they accepted a single salary of $350 a week. Each, singly, was called “the guys.”)

Mr. Davis never lost the quirky, original tone that helped shape the show, and in his last months he referred to death as “deanimation.” He deanimated on Thursday at his home in Hudson, N.Y., at age 59. The cause was throat and neck cancer, his wife, Mimi Raleigh, said.

With Mr. Franken and others, Mr. Davis helped create the clan of extraterrestrials known as the Coneheads, who attributed their peculiarities to having come from France. He and Dan Aykroyd collaborated on Mr. Aykroyd’s impersonation of Julia Child, in which the television chef cuts herself and bleeds to death after grabbing a phone to dial 911, only to find it’s a prop. As she collapses she bids her audience “Bon appétit!”

Thomas James Davis was born in Minneapolis on Aug. 13, 1952, and attended the private Blake School, where he and Mr. Franken bonded over comedians like Jack Benny and Bob and Ray. Their announcements of school events at the morning assembly were peppered with sarcasm, and soon they were performing at a local comedy club.

After graduating, Mr. Franken headed for Harvard, while Mr. Davis chose the University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif., because, he said, he had heard that it had a foreign study program in India, where he hoped to smoke opium. (They did, and he did.)

After a year of college, Mr. Davis returned to Minneapolis to work in improvisational comedy. And after Mr. Franken graduated, the two convened in Los Angeles to do stand-up and caught the attention of Lorne Michaels, the creator of “Saturday Night Live.” Mr. Michaels summoned them to New York, where he negotiated with the writers’ union to offer the two a single apprentice job.

He and Mr. Franken were so close that Mr. Franken named his daughter Thomasin Davis Franken. But the two broke up as a team in 1990 when Mr. Franken tired of his friend’s drug abuse. They reconciled a decade later, and Mr. Davis obliged his friend by publishing his all-too-candid autobiography only after Senator Franken was elected. In his book, Mr. Davis wrote, “I love Al as I do my brother, whom I also don’t see very much.”

In addition to his wife and his brother, Robert, Mr. Davis is survived by his mother, Jean Davis.

In his last two years, Mr. Davis helped a friend write a book about Owsley Stanley, famed for handling sound for the Grateful Dead and supplying the group with LSD. He searched out objects like old barn doors and stones with which to make large sculptures. And he worked with Mr. Aykroyd on a script for a possible “Ghostbusters III” film.

As in his comedy, Mr. Davis said, “I’m improvising.”
                          Mr. Davis and his Minnesota high school friend Al Franken were among the first writers hired in 1975 to help shape the fresh take that a new show, live from New York, would bring to topical humor.

See, if you're just patient, baby boomers will die all on their own.

RIP, Mr. Davis.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Sally Ride, first American woman in space, dead at 61

WFAA

Posted on July 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Updated today at 5:01 PM

ABC News reports that Dr. Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, has died at age 61.

Ride had been battling pancreatic cancer.

She rocketed into space on June 18, 1983 aboard the space shuttle Challenger, opening the door to 30 other American women who followed her in orbit.

She was also aboard Challenger when it flew an eight-day orbital mission in October, 1984.

President Barack Obama called her a national hero.

"She inspired generations of young girls to reach for the stars and later fought tirelessly to help them get there by advocating for a greater focus on science and math in our schools," the president said in a written statement. "Sally’s life showed us that there are no limits to what we can achieve and I have no doubt that her legacy will endure for years to come."

"Sally Ride broke barriers with grace and professionalism — and literally changed the face of America's space program," said NASA administrator in a written statement. "The Nation has lost one of its finest leaders, teachers and explorers."

According to her official NASA biography, Ride joined the astronaut class of 1978.

Following her career at NASA, she went on to an academic career at the University of California at San Diego.

She was also a member of the investigative panel called to review the Columbia and Challenger disasters.

Dr. Ride was inducted into the National Women's Hall of fame and the Astronaut Hall of Fame. and has received the Jefferson Award for Public Service, the von Braun Award, the Lindbergh Eagle, and the NCAA’s Theodore Roosevelt Award. She has also twice been awarded the NASA Space Flight Medal, according to NASA's biography.

"She will be missed, but her star will always shine brightly," Bolden said.

R.I.P.

Comment

• I saw that.

Made me feel old.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X