No announcement yet.

The 2012 Off Topic Celebrity Dead Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Madoc, noted actor and linguist. I well remember his portrayal of the villainous Magua in the television series of 'Last Of The Mohicans' and also Solon in the Tom Baker 'Dr Who' episodes 'The Brain Of Morbius'. He had an excellent voice for radio work too :

The actor Philip Madoc, who has died aged 77 after a short illness, became one of Wales's best-known faces through playing villains and officers on television for half a century. His rich, sonorous voice was heard to marvellous effect when he took the role of King Lear in a 2007 BBC radio broadcast: it was as ideal for Shakespeare as it was for light comedy or reciting the prose of Dylan Thomas, at which he was masterly.

His television work brought him four different roles in Doctor Who, but he really made his name as the vicious Huron warrior Magua in the 1971 BBC series The Last of the Mohicans. He swaggered dangerously, semi-naked, in dark body make-up, and a shaven hairstyle with Mohican brush that pre-empted punk by several years.

Accepting with good grace that his dark eyes and deep voice would rule him out for romantic leads, he set about playing, for instance, the SS officer in Manhunt (1970) – the LWT second world war series that set him up for stardom – with relish and great skill. He never descended into caricature.

Well, almost never. He himself said his grave would carry an inscription referring to his captured German U-boat captain in a 1973 episode of Dad's Army. The scene features on every comedy highlights programme as, superciliously interrogated by Arthur Lowe's Captain Mainwaring, Madoc's tame Nazi, in peaked cap and white polo-necked sweater, whips out a notebook to make a list of his captors' names.

Ian Lavender's callow Private Pike makes a witless but insolent remark from across the room. Madoc, enraged: "Your name vil also go on zee list. Vot is eet?" Lowe: "Don't tell 'im, Pike." Madoc, immediately: "Pike!" (writes name on list). Although the joke comes from the old formula, "Who wrote Beethoven's Seventh Symphony?" it is doubly hilarious because in the previous few minutes Mainwaring has, as usual, been reasserting his complete control of the situation.

Madoc was born in Merthyr Tydfil, where he attended Cyfarthfa Castle grammar school, and read classics and modern languages at Cardiff University. A natural linguist, he then went to the University of Vienna to train as an interpreter, becoming proficient in Russian – the most beautiful of languages, apart from Welsh, he always thought – German and even Albanian.

But his passion for drama diverted him to Rada, where he was an older than usual student at the age of 24. This no doubt contributed to those natural assets – voice, imposing physical presence, a certain gravitas – that already marked him out for senior and authoritarian roles. Starting in rep in 1959 on a salary of £8 a week, he quickly moved into television, making his screen debut in the 1961 BBC Sunday Night play Cross of Iron – as a German officer, natürlich.

A string of early 1960s television roles called on his classical talents: Von Koren in Chekhov's The Duel; Lord Byron in Tennessee Williams's Camino Real (adapted by Hugh Leonard) with Pamela Brown and Diane Cilento; and man-about-town Charles Lomax, or "Cholly", in George Bernard Shaw's Major Barbara, with Judi Dench and Brewster Mason. His run as a star turn in Doctor Who started with a physically unrecognisable warlord in 1969 and the Frankenstein-like Solon, creator of a monstrous "thing", in 1976. Madoc possessed a remarkable ability to transform his appearance; indeed this may account for the fact that, although well known, you might not always put his name to the face he had adopted, not even in Dad's Army.

And of course he could play almost any nationality – notably his own, in the title role of Elaine Morgan's The Life and Times of Lloyd George (1981). He was also seen as Leon Trotsky in a film about Trotsky's daughter, Zina (1986); another German, Freddi von Flugel, in Fortunes of War (1987) with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson; and Pierre D'Armacourt in a television series of The Bourne Identity (1988) before it became a Hollywood blockbuster. One of Madoc's most interesting characters was DCI Noel Bain in A Mind to Kill, a television detective series made simultaneously in Welsh and English between 1994 and 2002.

His stage career came back into impressive focus, too, when he joined the Royal Shakespeare Company to play Professor Raat in The Blue Angel and the Duke in Measure for Measure. These productions, both directed by Trevor Nunn, opened the new Other Place in Stratford-upon-Avon in 1991, a comfortable brick building replacing the old tin shack without losing the old atmosphere.

Both plays explored the tragic effects of awakening sexual obsession in a moral climate of distorted respectability; Madoc's humiliated professor was a beautifully modulated performance of a pathetic creature, while his "duke of dark corners" launched a long-range, cunning assault on Claire Skinner's sweet but innately priggish Isabella before coming clean with his immodest proposal.

Always fit and physically adventurous, Madoc went walking in the Himalayas, camel-trekking in the Gobi desert and motor-cycling in south-east Asia. His first marriage, to the actor Ruth Madoc, ended in divorce in 1981. He is survived by his second wife, Diane, an interior designer; by the two children, Rhys and Lowri, from his first marriage; and by a younger sister.

• Philip Madoc, actor, born 5 July 1934; died 5 March 2012
    Actor with a flair for transformation, from Doctor Who aliens and the Dad's Army U-boat captain to Lloyd George and King Lear

Click image for larger version

Name:	obit-philipmadoc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	9092892
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
      Fidel Castro may have died, again
      I have him on my list too.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        And in other new, Zsa Zsa is planning her 120th birthday party.
        She better not be. I specifically put her on my list because I want her to die. :shoot:
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• ROCK HILL --

The end came silently Thursday morning for Jimmy Ellis. But the life, before death at age 74, was never quiet. Jimmy Ellis burned that mother down.

James T. Ellis, "Jimmy," died Thursday, but the song "Disco Inferno" will live forever.
          That song, "Disco Inferno," turned The Trammps - the band Jimmy Ellis fronted, and its silver-voiced singer from entertainers into plain - out American cultural icons. The song was featured in the "Saturday Night Fever" movie in 1977, and the subsequent soundtrack that sold an astounding 15 million copies as it stayed atop the charts for half a year. In 1978, "Disco Inferno" as a single became for a while the Number One dance song in America, and thus, the world.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• R.I.P., brother.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              She better not be. I specifically put her on my list because I want her to die. :shoot:
              That's not how this works. We put people on our lists to save them from death.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                R.I.P., brother.

I'm surprised Albie didn't show up to remind us Ellis was from Philly.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Ian Brady's hearing is due. If he wins his appeal to be sent to prison, his demise is pretty much assured seeing as he hasn't eaten in 12 years.

A date has been set for a mental health tribunal into whether Moors Murderer Ian Brady can be returned to prison.

The hearing at Ashworth Hospital will be shown live at the Civil Justice Centre in Manchester, where members of public will be able to watch.

It will begin on 9 July and is estimated to last for eight days.

Brady, 74, jailed in 1966 for the murder of three children buried on Saddleworth Moor, has been detained at Ashworth hospital since 1985.

No members of the public will be admitted to the hearing room at Ashworth.

Judge Robert Atherton said "further consideration" was being given as to whether any members of the media would be given access to the room at the hospital.

It will be only the second time such a case has been held in public.

'Ending his life'
                  Brady made a request for the review into his imprisonment be held in public in August 2010.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

I want to listen to what he has got to say, if he is going to say anything important.”

Winnie Johnson
                  Victim's mother
                  His solicitor Richard Nicholas said Brady, who has been on hunger strike since 1999, believes he "should no longer be detained under the Mental Health Act at Ashworth Hospital".

"He has been on a self-imposed hunger strike with a view to ending his life," Mr Nicholas said.

"Whilst he is subject to the Act, it is possible for him to be subject to a forced feeding regime, hence his wish to be transferred back to prison and away from the powers of compulsory treatment."

Brady, who was born in Glasgow, wants to be transferred to a Scottish prison and be allowed to die.

Along with his partner Myra Hindley, who died in November 2002, Brady was responsible for the murder of five youngsters in the 1960s.

Pauline Reade, 16, John Kilbride, 12, Keith Bennett, 12, Lesley Ann Downey, 10, and Edward Evans, 17, were all killed by Brady and Hindley.

The body of Keith Bennett, who Brady admitted to killing in 1987, has never been found.

'Facing him'
                  Keith's mother Winnie Johnson, of Longsight, Manchester, said last year she wished to attend Brady's hearing to come "face-to-face" with her son's killer.

Ms Johnson, 78, who has cancer, said: "I want to listen to what he has got to say, if he is going to say anything important.

"I have never seen him face-to-face.

"It would hurt, but the point is I want to be there. The only way I can find out is going and facing him."

Brady was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1966 for the murders of Lesley Ann Downey, Edward Evans and John Kilbride.

He was diagnosed as a psychopath in 1985 and sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

He was transferred from prison to Ashworth, a maximum security hospital, that year.
                  A date is set for a mental health tribunal into whether Moors Murderer Ian Brady can be granted his wish to be returned to prison.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                    Ian Brady's hearing is due. If he wins his appeal to be sent to prison, his demise is pretty much assured seeing as he hasn't eaten in 12 years.
                    Time to go.

Comment

• Sounds like he sucks at hunger strikes.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• It's amazing how tricky they become when you're restrained and have a feeding tube fitted up your nose.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                          Yeah, though I pass no judgement on that. I can see myself going the same way someday.

It's just odd to see it in print.
                          If it was good enough for HST.....
                          If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

• embalmer sighting!

Comment

• He is still a diagnosed pschyopath. The judge shouldn't send him to prison.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Enbalmer?!

Comment

Working...
                                X