No announcement yet.

The 2012 Off Topic Celebrity Dead Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dundee was on my very first dead pool list, but not since.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Micron CEO and chairman Steve Appleton

Micron CEO and chairman Steve Appleton died Friday morning in a small-plane crash in Boise.

Micron, a maker of semiconductors and flash memory, confirmed Appleton's death at age 51 in a press release that praised his "passion and energy."

PrintCommentAppleton was flying a Lancair fixed-wing single-engine plane that crashed at 8:58 a.m. local time at Boise Airport, a spokeswoman for the airport told CNN's John Fricke. She could not confirm whether the accident took place at takeoff, landing or during flight.

Shares of Micron (MU, Fortune 500), which trade on the Nasdaq, were halted on the news.

Appleton survived a previous crash in July 2004, when the stunt plane he was flying went down over an Idaho desert.

Appleton joined Micron in 1983 and held several positions at the Boise-based company. He was named president and chief operating officer in 1991, and he became chairman, CEO and president in 1994. In 2007, he shed the president portion of his title.

Appleton was known for his love of planes and for his athleticism. He held a tennis scholarship at Boise State while working towards his business administration degree. After that, he played pro-tennis on the satellite circuit for six months before diving into his career at Micron Technology.

Micron Technology in the Fortune 500
      Appleton "learned to play [tennis] left-handed after breaking his right wrist," according to the book Winner Take All by Richard J. Elkus.

Appleton sat on the board of the Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA), and the trade group awarded him its highest honor this past November.

"Steve was a visionary and a true leader in our industry. He will be deeply missed..." SIA president Brian Toohey said in a prepared statement.

Micron's press release offered condolences to Appleton's wife, Dalynn, as well as their children.

Micron was founded in Boise in October 1978, and it became a public company in June 1984. The company ranked No. 287 on the 2011 Fortune 500 list. At the end of 2011, Micron employed about 20,000 full-time staffers.

Friday's accident marks the second small-plane crash in two months that killed high-profile executives. In late December, a plane carrying two Greenhill & Co. (GHL) bankers, the wife of one of the bankers and their two children crashed on a New Jersey highway, killing all five aboard.

First Published: February 3, 2012: 3:05 PM ET
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Zalman King, a onetime actor who went on to produce and direct numerous films including "Wild Orchid," died Friday after a lengthy battle with cancer, his son-in-law said.

King was 70.

After fighting cancer for six years, King died Friday morning at his home in Santa Monica, California, son-in-law Allison Burnett told CNN.

His wife and longtime contributor, writer-director Patricia Louisiana Knopp, was by his side.

Born Zalman Lefkovitz, King broke into Hollywood in the 1960s as an actor with roles on several TV series including "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour," "Bonanza," "Gunsmoke" and "The Young Lawyers," according to the online Internet Movie Database website, imdb.com.

He produced several films in the 1980s, including the erotic drama "9½ Weeks" starring Kim Basinger and Mickey Rourke. And in 1989, King moved behind the camera to direct "Wild Orchid," written by him and his wife and featuring Rourke and Jacqueline Bisset.

According to Burnett, late director Stanley Kubrick would call King "every night" while shooting "Eyes Wide Shut," starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, to get ideas on shooting erotic scenes.

King also knew Martin Sheen for decades, as well as his son Charlie Sheen, according to Burnett.

The former "Platoon," "Wall Street" and "Two and a Half Men" star lauded King as a "brilliant and noble soul" in a statement Friday on his website.

"My dear friend of 40 years, Zalman King, just lost his battle with cancer," Charlie Sheen wrote. "Fought like a recon marine til the bitter end."

Share this on:Facebook Twitter Digg delicious reddit MySpace StumbleUpon LinkedIn

Comment

• Ben Gazzara, whose long and brilliant career in theater and film was characterized by a magnetic and mischievous Method intensity, has died at age 81, according to the New York Times. The cause was pancreatic cancer.

On stage, Gazzara, the son of blue-collar Italian immigrants, was a Tony-nominated actor who played Brick in the original 1955 Broadway run of Tennessee Williams’ Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. On screen, he starred in such classics as 1959′s Anatomy of a Murder. But his best work often came thanks to his association with longtime pal John Cassavetes, who treated Gazzara as a sort of muse in such dark, independent films as 1970′s Husbands and 1976′s The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. Gazzara wasn’t just interested in arthouse experimentation — he was a familiar face on TV in such shows as Run For Your Life in the ’60s, and more recently he appeared in beloved pop movies like Road House and The Big Lebowski.

Comment

• I honestly thought Ben Gazzara died year ago.

R.I.P. all.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• All we need now is a celeb death that someone predicted...
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Die, die, die!
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• The Derby leader currently has 3 hits.

We're still competitive.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• It's early.
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Happy Birthday Zsa Zsa...
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• She'll outlive us all.

Comment

• The queen is celebrating her diamond jubilee, a.k.a a celebration of the fact that she a) hasn't died yet and b) the British people haven't managed to figure out how ****ing stupid her job is.

Can she please just kick the bucket so the rest of the world can enjoy the schadenfreude of having her ******* son on the throne, and more importantly, so I can get my dead pool points?
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• I gave up on QE a few years ago. She seems quite healthy, and is not as old as I first thought.

Comment

• She continues living just to spite Charles.

Comment

• As far as Elizabeth Saxe-Coburg-Gotha is concerned, I'd suggest that picking a woman in extremely robust health, no obvious vices, and a mother who lived to 101, was always going to be a long shot.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X