New Year's Eve in Lima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year's Eve in Lima

Is positively INSANE. The wife and I went up to the rooftop a few minutes before midnight to watch as the locals, unburdened by the quaint Anglo-Saxon superstition of fire safety, let off a seemingly endless barrage of fireworks from their roofs. By fifteen after midnight they were going off continuously in four different directions, some of them shooting up until they were basically directly overhead before detonating to fill what looked like half the sky. At one point (my wife says she saw this happen twice) a little flaming scrap from one such firework landed on the roof of a neighboring building. I nearly strangled myself in the clotheslines twitching back and forth.

They're still going now, but they basically blew their load by half past midnight. Given that the whole display was free, I don't mind, but between the leftover adrenaline, the straggling detonations, and our noisy neighbors playing music we're probably not going to get to sleep any time soon.

Happy 2012, all.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

We do the same in Argentina, it sounds almost like a city getting bombed, and the media constantly remind us of how much dogs and cats suffer because of all the firework noises. Sometimes people lose their pets because they run away terrified by all the explosions.

My father lives in a high class neighbourhood in which people have money for very expensive fireworks, and he found his cat hidden behind a rock, and terrified, he had to check if she was still beathing because it didnt move. (it was fine after all)

Happy new year

Not all the fireworks have pretty light, some are just explosives that make a lot of noise, make cars vibrate enough for the car alarms to get activated, and can actually kill or seriously injure someone if an accident happen, bombas de estruendo we call them (noise bombs)
    I need a foot massage

Comment

On the upside no one should give a flying **** about some worthless Peruvian sub human.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

happy new year!

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          On the upside no one should give a flying **** about some worthless Peruvian sub human.
          Dude, that wasn't clever or funny. It was just racist and rude. Geez.

Barnabas, we had some plain noisemakers too; the whistling kind and the booming kind. And yes, the dogs were barking furiously. As were the car alarms. Oh, how I hate car alarms...
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Well done on nailing the 00:00.

Happy New Year!
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
            X