The Apolyton Off-Topic 2012 Celebrity Dead Pool Signup Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We hit 20. A new record.

Elok's last minute entry put us over the top.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Nice!
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Another borderline pick this year was the dude from the nuke reactor that went bad in Japan (a scientist). News of his subsequent cancer is what moved him into the "celeb" category...just barely.

So I guess that means that he didn't make it....
        Isn't there a rule that celebrities that are famous b/c the fact that they're dying are excluded?
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
          So I guess that means that he didn't make it....
          He's still alive.

Isn't there a rule that celebrities that are famous b/c the fact that they're dying are excluded?
          Yes, if that is the only reason they are famous (the "Terry Shiavo Rule").

This guy was in the media before he got the cancer (during the nuke problems) and has recently announced he has developed cancer. His fame is not entirely due to his illness.

Tough call though, hence why it was borderline.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Since we're all going to die on December 21th, I suggest that celebs that die on that date won't count for the end result. I mean, everybody dies on that day. It's an easy prediction. Even the people on Ming's list will die....

Comment

No. The people on Ming's list will be the only survivors, and will be responsible for repopulating the planet.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Oops, just noticed that Ming's list has only one woman (Lesley Ash), and she's 50 years old.

We're doomed.

Comment

Damnit that was my line.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                    Oops, just noticed that Ming's list has only one woman (Lesley Ash), and she's 50 years old.

We're doomed.

Comment

• Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post

well - are you participating this year then?

Sadly, no. Twenty-six hours without power stretching from the afternoon of New Years Eve day to News Year day forced me to miss the deadline.

I will be here in spirit though
                      If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

• oohhhh... 26hours?!? Whoa, how on earth did that happen, a major storm or what?
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                          oohhhh... 26hours?!? Whoa, how on earth did that happen, a major storm or what?
                          Not a major storm, no. Some freezing rain which collected on the power lines and eventually pulled some of them down. Not really sure how many people were affected but I don't think it was a huge number; I was simply one of the unlucky ones
                          If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

• Second chance for anyone that wants to play but missed the signup deadline. After much consultation the Dead Pool members have agreed to allow for late submissions under certain conditions.

If you still want to play, here's how:

4. This list is to be sent by Private Message to Wezil for eligibility verification. DO NOT post your list in the thread. I will post the lists of all players at the start of the game in January. This prevents others from “poaching” your good picks. Only "late submissions" (see below) will be accepted after 31st December 2011.

a) Late submissions will be accepted until January 15, 2012 under the following conditions:
                            i) New players must submit a list of 20 unique (not picked in 2012) celebrities. Consult the 2012 game thread opening posts for a complete list of picked celebrities.
                            ii) Returning players may submit their old team with unique picks filling any openings created by 2011 deaths. New picks are added to the bottom of the player's Rank List. In the alternative - Returning players may create a new team as per clause 4 (a)(i).
                            iii) Any and all "unique" picks on a late submission team are ineligible for the Unique Pick Award (the "penalty" for a late submission).
                            iv) All picks must be eligible (i.e. Still alive) as of team submission. Any returning player picks that may die prior to submission are removed from the team list and may be filled by a new "unique" pick.

-------------------------------

Six days left to get in on the action.

Comment

Working...
                            X