The Apolyton Off-Topic 2012 Celebrity Dead Pool Signup Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ming View Post
    As we move closer to the deadline... I just wanted to say thanks to Wezil for setting this up again this year. It's a lot of work, and I appreciate it... even if none of my picks ever die
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
      I named a stiff, too, Jr. Don't feel like you're the only addled one here.
      Odd that I didn't remember seeing Ruby Muhammad pass away. Usually I remember such things. But listing the same guy twice (Run Run Shaw)... I have no excuse for that!

Basically, I was doing a lot of cutting/pasting between lists, and was about to be gone for the afternoon. So my "final check" was basically, "Are there 20 names plus some reserves? Good enough!"

It's the secret to my success...

Oh, and happy new year, everyone.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Ruby Muhammad
        JD Salinger
        Boris Yeltsin

...were all picked this year by various players.

Sloww fought hard for Salinger but was ultimately overruled.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Since he is on the boards....

I'd like to thank [/sarcasm] Elok for making me learn more about the Kardashian clan than anyone needs to know.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Honestly, I had to look up the third one's name myself. I just knew all three names started with K and two of them shouldn't have but did anyway just to force a goofy alliteration.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Shouldn't hte Kardashians fall afoul of rule 22l?

l) A celebrity must be “famous” in his or her own right – family members of celebrities do not count unless they too have their own fame. Exception: All present and former “First Ladies” still alive are eligible to be chosen.
              EDIT: Just wondering, because I don't fully understand the Dead Pool rules.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                Honestly, I had to look up the third one's name myself. I just knew all three names started with K and two of them shouldn't have but did anyway just to force a goofy alliteration.
                Kim was the only one I had even heard of before (wouldn't know her to see her).

I'm disconnected from pop culture and haven't had TV in 10 years. She was just a name to me.

I wasn't even going to allow the sisters as picks until I saw they have a TV show together.

Comment

No, they apparently have some horrid reality TV show. I never saw it, but it's there. Plus they're tabloid fixtures. I think that rule is meant to cover things like "Brad Pitt's ninety-eight year old uncle whom nobody ever heard of." If it were just that they were unworthy of our attention, well, crap, that eliminates half the celebrities on earth.

XPost; I haven't watched much TV either, but I see at least one each time I go to the supermarket, and I'm living in Latin America, FFS.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                    Shouldn't hte Kardashians fall afoul of rule 22l?

EDIT: Just wondering, because I don't fully understand the Dead Pool rules.
                    X-Post.

I just mentioned that in my post to Elok.

Kim K would be a Paris Hilton type - acceptable under my loose definition of "celebrity". Were it not for the TV show the sisters would have been ineligible.

Comment

I'm working on the pick frequency data at the moment.

Charlie Sheen has joined the DP for the first time and actually garnered more picks than his dad. An impressive debut.

Comment

Zsa Zsa Gabor was picked by 15 of 20 teams.

8 of those teams made her their #1 pick.

Comment

Ah, gotcha, I think that's a good policy.

You starting a new thread with the teams in, or we just going to continue using this thread?

Also, I wouldn't bet against Charlie Sheen dying before Zsa Zsa, now that I think about it. I'm a n00b...
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                            Ah, gotcha, I think that's a good policy.
                            It will always be subjective but I try to be as inclusive as I can.

Another borderline pick this year was the dude from the nuke reactor that went bad in Japan (a scientist). News of his subsequent cancer is what moved him into the "celeb" category...just barely.

You starting a new thread with the teams in, or we just going to continue using this thread?

The 2012 Pool will get a new thread as per the 2011 edition. I do two threads 1) signup, 2) game

I'm just chatting in this thread as I compile all the data and prepare the 2012 game thread.

When I do post the game thread I ask that everyone refrain from posting for a few minutes to allow me time to grab the top three posts. I need 3 spots to lay out my stuff.

Also, I wouldn't bet against Charlie Sheen dying before Zsa Zsa, now that I think about it. I'm a n00b...
                            Charlie is popular for a new entry (3 picks) but Lindsay Lohan still reigns as the "River Phoenix" pick among our players (5 picks).

Comment

Thank you so much, Wezil.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

So, how many teams, Wezil? Looked like we hit 18-19?
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X