Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equivalence of directions (a programming question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equivalence of directions (a programming question)

A direction is a sequence of turns separated by unit distances. A turn is expressed in multiples of pi/10, so a u-turn is +5 or -5. Positive values mean CCW turns.
    We start at origin, heading towards (1,0)
    If I use relative turns (think "turn left", not "go north"), how can I determine if two directions are equivalent (i.e. they lead to the same point)?
    For example, [+1, -2] and [-1, +2], lead to the same point (phi, 0)
    Or [+1, +2, +3] equals [+3] or [+5, -2, -3]
    I know that if I use unit distances I can simply trig my way down to the destination, round the values down to a single decimal and compare them directly, but what if I don't want to or can't use trigonometric functions at all?
    Will switching to absolute (i.e., always measure the turns from A+(1,0)) turns help?

P.S. Extra geek cred to the one who can guess what task I need this for.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Offhand I'd say that you would probably benefit from using polar coordinates instead of cartesian coordinates, but I haven't used polar coordinates with enough regularity to come up with an algorithm off the top of my head.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Well, yes, a direction is simply a list of polar coordinates, except the distance is always 1.

Comment

There's no way to do this without trig

The best way is via polar coords.

consider a direction as an iterative series of actions (turn plus step) on the following triplex: d,a,h

h is heading, d is distance from origin, a is angle of current position from x axis.

I will write out form of iteration when not on phone. Two directions are equivalent if their final triplexes match in d and a (h doesn't matter). Iteration involves law of sines and law of cosines.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The iterative step will involve a sqrt, an inverse sine, a sine and a cosine. All other opperations are arithmetic (sums, products). The algo is linear in the number of turns.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So the non-trig way to do it with pi/4 turns is a special case, the because the results of trig are rational at every step!?

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
              P.S. Extra geek cred to the one who can guess what task I need this for.
              You're building a new bar pickup line?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                You're building a new bar pickup line?
                I'm happily married, thank you..

Comment

You could use a relative control model and translate it to an absolute model behind the scenes by tracking the pose (x, y, θ). Then you only have to store a lookup table implementing the motion model as translations in x and y (pre-computed using trigonometry). If at step t the pose is (xt, yt, θt) and the desired control primitive is dθ, then the resulting pose at time t+1 is (xt + lt[θt + dθ][x], yt + lt[θt + dθ][y], θt + dθ), assuming the rotation precedes a unit translation and that this is a noise-free simulation. In this example lt[θt + dθ][x] corresponds to the lookup table entry for the x component of the translation vector resulting from the motion primitive θt + dθ.

SP
                  I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                  X