No announcement yet.

Pros and Cons of Proving God Exists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming we talk about scientific proof, and assuming it was possible to get that - it would end religion by turning it into science. I can't decide if that's a pro or con.
    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
      You didn't really answer my question directly. Do you believe the 10 commandments came from God?

You seem to be saying that the 10 commandments are inferior to their summary given by Jesus. How can that be?

Also, yes the Isrealites didn't understand God perfectly, nobody does. Despite the fact that God's own son came to teach us the way we all still do it our own way. God have mercyon us.
      I didn't answer your question directly because I was asking exactly what you were saying. And yes, I do think the 10 Commandments are inferior to Jesus's summary of the law - Jesus is the perfect revelation, everything else pales in comparison. I think the principles in the 10 Commandments are Godly principles and came directly from God, HOWEVER, I think that God doesn't demand slavish obedience, but a heartfelt desire to please him, as you would wish to please a spouse (you do stuff for him/her because you love).
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Thread title should be "Gods exist"?
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
          Some people would surely say that he's not God, just a powerfull being from another universe or something.
          Would it really matter if God was "just" a powerful being from another universe or something? Would you suddenly say "well **** God, if he's not some white bearded dude living on a cloud then I'm not worshiping him!"
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

What would be the difference between the two things anyway? How could you tell?
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Any sufficiently advanced being is indistinguishable from God

Comment

Thanks, Arthur.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Prime example: Obama

Blah

Comment

or closer to home, KrazyHorse.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

I thought KH was more a deified hero, kinda like Hercules who was taken to the Olymp. Could be wrong though. If only there's someone doing the balance between everything I'm ok with the universe.
                      Blah

Comment

Hercules was a demigod in the first place though.

No-one has proven that KH is not the son of Zeus.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

True. I think this is an interesting topic and will start a separate thread about this asap.
                          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                            Would it really matter if God was "just" a powerful being from another universe or something? Would you suddenly say "well **** God, if he's not some white bearded dude living on a cloud then I'm not worshiping him!"
                            Yes. God being the Creator of everything and the love He shares for his Creation results in a relationship where one wants to please his loving Creator by doing what He may ask of us - like sacrificing to help others, because we are all brothers and sisters all originating from the Creator. If the guy is just a powerful being who didn't create us, that leap is bit harder - why care for others that deeply? That's a bit more difficult.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't see the distinction. If a powerful alien said "Hey, I've been thinking about this for the past few billion years, and have concluded that loving each other is better than hating each other," then that would carry more weight with me than a Creator saying "Hey, I made y'all, now love each other to please me." The former is "worshiping" a being because of its presumed wisdom, while the latter is worshiping a being because of its presumed power.
                              Last edited by loinburger; December 21, 2011, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                Yes. God being the Creator of everything and the love He shares for his Creation results in a relationship where one wants to please his loving Creator by doing what He may ask of us - like sacrificing to help others, because we are all brothers and sisters all originating from the Creator. If the guy is just a powerful being who didn't create us, that leap is bit harder - why care for others that deeply? That's a bit more difficult.
                                There are finer distinctions. Say that the universe is actually a computer simulation within a different universe that operates under different physical laws. An alien created our simulated universe, and all of us, with the specific purpose of implementing Christian morality. The alien also imbued human agents of the simulation with free will - that is, they can make decisions which break the rules of the simulation. Is this alien just a really powerful alien, or is this alien God?
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X